Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

4 members and 3,089 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,557
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

What's the deal with the reptile shun?

More specifically snakes. We got my 9 year old son a Royal python in late May for his B-day. He was the one who researched things and got me on board. Obviously due to his young age and level of understanding I'm the primary care taker and supervisor of all handling. I was never a "snake guy" in the beginning, yet I always thought it was interesting when I met somebody with a hobby that included snakes and was open minded.

Now that we have one, I've been reading Ball Python books, web researching and private messaging weekly if not more. I'm really into the biology/herpetology of snakes and am rather happy with the new interest and hobby. I have my son to thank for it!!

However, I've found my excitement does not stray far from him, or this chat board. When I mention the "great gift" we bought for our son to others, I'm met with looks of disgust and comments like "why would you do that?" Not rattled, I try to share my new knowledge and try to explain that snakes, especially certain kinds make excellent pets and are very interesting. Sadly, my enthusiasm ends when the conversation stops. I can tell when there are no further questions and my volunteering more info falls on deaf ears. I would have thought at least some guys would say "wow that's cool!" To date that has not happened.

I thought I was an oddball with protection dog training as a hobby and owning Presa Canarios and a Pit Bull. (I don't fit the stereo type). Now on top of that, I'm a huge fan of snakes. Apparently I choose hobbies or interests that don't fit the common Joe's of the world.

In a way I guess it's OK because I think a lot of dog owners should never own dogs. I'm guessing the real experienced snake people have rolled their eyes hearing about the 1st timer that feels the need for a Retic, or Burmese as well.

People seem to think just because a snake doesn't play the "love give and take game" it's a bad pet. I think that's the part I like. I like the care aspect, and the feeding and feel of raw nature. I think its like having a wild animal that behaves quite well right in the house.

Sorry for the rant, I was just hoping I could at least find one person outside of the family that I knew that wanted to chat snakes.

Do you guys run into this negativity?

Cheers,

Gio

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have run into this negativity. We all have. Truthfully I would prefer a snake (and I do) over a dog or a cat. So what if they dont show us affection or play fetch. The biggest reason why there is so much negativity towards snakes, even reptiles and arachnids is the media. tv shows, movies, news, all of that never shows the real side of the reptile hobby.

I for one love all animals to matter what. I will not hate an animal for its actions or what it can do.
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    When i encounter people like that i usually get distracted on trying really hard not to punch them in the throat...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

loonunit (06-22-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a lot of people out there that snakes are a terrible thing to keep as a pet. They think they are gross, scary, slimy, etc. People are just ignorant. Just about every kid I have met is interested in the snakes and the ones that are afraid have been tainted by their parents. It's just the stigma that is attached to them. Just wait till someone calls you a devil worshiper just because you have snakes, I've gotten that one a few times.

I have a doberman and people treat her different than other dogs and think she is dangerous. It's just something that comes with the territory and you have to expect people to be ingrained to not like snakes, just like they would be afraid of a bully breed, unless they are educated of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a lot of people out there that think snakes are a terrible thing to keep as a pet. They think they are gross, scary, slimy, etc. People are just ignorant. Just about every kid I have met is interested in the snakes and the ones that are afraid have been tainted by their parents. It's just the stigma that is attached to them. Just wait till someone calls you a devil worshiper just because you have snakes, I've gotten that one a few times.

I have a doberman and people treat her different than other dogs and think she is dangerous. It's just something that comes with the territory and you have to expect people to be ingrained to not like snakes, just like they would be afraid of a bully breed, unless they are educated of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Yeah I have encountered that too! My friends wont come over cuz i own snakes! like what they just chillin on the couch or something? A lot of it is ignorance. Its human nature to fear what we dont understand, and a lot of it is just that people truly are disgusted by them. Surprisingly enough there are a certain few that find what I wanna do extremely interesting like my grandpa which caught me completely off guard. He was really interested in it and it was cool to just sit and talk snakes with him. But more often than not I will meet someone who is just appalled by it....
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Unfortunatly, there are still widespread and negative cultural biases, stereotypes, and antiquated beliefs that are held by society against snakes, and reptiles in general; beliefs that they are slimy, disguisting, or dangerous. There is not one single reptile keeper or enthusiast I know of who has not experienced this.

As others here have already stated, much of it stems from ignorance and lack of awareness, education, and understanding of things people fear or do not understand. You should use your and your son's newfound interest in these wonderful and truly misunderstood animals to educate the public about them whenever possible. If there is a herpetological society in your area, I would highly recommend joining one. There you can share your interest and passion for these animals with other like minded individuals, and be actively involved in educating the community about reptiles and amphibians. I have been long involved with the Madison area Herpetological Society, and have met many great people, many of whom are now some of my best friends.

Seeing that you are in MN, it might be of interest to you to check out the Minnesota Herpetological Society. Obviously, you won't be able to get through to everyone with these endeavors, but I think you will see that once you join one, reception towards our cause will be overwhelmingly positve. It seems to have been for us, MAHS. Good luck!
    http://www.mnherpsoc.com/
    Last edited by ER12; 06-21-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ER12 For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-22-2012),MarkS (06-22-2012)

Thanks
    In truth I don't tell anyone thats not family about them. I have a three year old boy and I have been met with open hostility (not just negativity) about having reptiles. There are some people out there that will hear about it and not think much. Then there are the people that are convinced that a crazy unreliable reptile owner must have them all over in a disgusting, dangerous mess. I'm afraid someone would try and call social services. If you came in my home you would have no idea that I kept snakes and Tarantulas. I keep them in my bedroom locked up and other than my Dumeril (who is in a large tub) they are not obvious (Racks are great for that). I trust my animals but not those crazy people out there that must be right about everything (because they saw it on TV) and the other twits that would rob you.

Sad.

Teach yourself and teach your child. That will make all the difference in the world
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: What's the deal with the reptile shun?

Just today my 14 yr old daughter and I were at my father's house cutting his lawn. We happened upon about a 5 foot Black Rat Snake. It was gorgeous and I took a picture of it with my daughter on my phone.

I was talking with a guy at work and I told him I was able to just pick it up and carry it out on the lawn without any issue. It did writhe a bit, coiled up and shook its tail like a rattler which always cracks me up. Such a tough snake. But it never struck or even lunged in my direction. It was as gentle as a lamb. When we were done looking at it we simply moved it back by the edge and let it crawl back into the brush. While I'm telling the story this guy has a look like he's disgusted.
    Then I showed the guy the photo. He remarked that we are nuts and there is no way he would go near a snake like that unless it was to kill it. This guy is about 6 ft tall, in his ealry 20's and built like a wall.

Prejudice and irrational fear is tough to combat.

Thanks
    I created this thread a while back, and why I think people are so afraid of snakes.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...+afraid+snakes
    1.0 firefly ball python
    1.0 100% Pastel het clown ball python
    1.0 Enchi ball python
    1.0 Super Pastel 100% het pied (Richard)
    0.1 Butter 100% het ghost
    0.1 Pastel 100% het pied (Keira)
    0.1 Butter 50% het Ghost Ball Python (Penny)
    0.1 100% het Ghost
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Irwin)
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python (Eve)
    0.1 Black Bee Ball Python (Charolette)
    0.1 Pintripe (Olivia)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Peaches)
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dude)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast