Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

2 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Temps again

Thanks
    Ok i can't find any of the posts that talk about setup and temps....I wanted to read over them to make sure I am doing this right....

So if someone could explain that again, I think it was either david or john I don't remember.

But....quesiton is what temp on warm side and what temp on cool side? Also, should basking lamp be over warm or cool side>?

Thanks..
    and if anyone has good humidity numbers, let me know...
    THANKS
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hey,

I'm pretty sure this is discussed all over the husbandry forum, but I'll go ahead and explain it anyway. Also, here is a link to a thread on this topic:

http://ball-pythons.net/index.php?na...iewtopic&t=782

Ok, the temps should be about 78-82 on the cool side, not going below 75 (try to get one solid temp, try not to flucuate between those given temps). Warm side should be between 87-92, not exceeding past 95. Humidity should stay between 50%-60%, with 70%-75% when the ball python is in shed. Sometimes keeping these temps and humidity levels can be a pain, you have to find what works for you to keep them adjusted properly. Definately buy a monitoring device for both, if you haven't already; don't guess. (Either a thermostat, rheostat, or temperature gun; avoid the stick-on thermometers).

Jennifer

Thanks

Heating?

Hey jen cool, thanks. But I should have the lamp over the hot side correct? And yes I just got a digital thermometer that has to reading wires. So one on each side and I can digitally see each side and relative humidty...but the humidity is at 34%. Any tips on getting up. Maybe spraying inside the tank with water?

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You can do that, yeah. Try to only spray the sides of the cage, rather than the substrate. I think I asked you before, but did you have a screen top for a lid?

And what are the temps as of right now? You most likely won't need the basking light if you have a heating pad.. (do you have a heating pad on one side of the enclosure)? The humidity is probably low because of the heat lamp, that's why I don't like to use them, they dry everything out.

Just let me know.

Jennifer

Thanks
    yeah I have a pad on the side with the light and my readings are now 81.7 degrees on cool side and 91.3 on warm side... Yes screen top

relative humidty reading is the same as what you were talking about correct?

Thanks
    it won't matter if there is no basking light? I don't really have much lightin my apt as it is, so there won't be much light in there....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Two eaters, one non-eater

Well, I don't use lighting in my cages, and my room light is usually off during the day; so they get just the normal faint daytime light that would shine through the blinds that are closed..lol. They seem to be doing just fine with no lamps or lighting. Hmm... What setting is your heating pad on? (low, medium, or high?) I would try to see if you can bump it up alittle bit, and take the lamp out, see if that would work. I could almost guarantee you that the humidity would go up a few.

As for the screen top, I've heard of wrapping duct tape around the top of it to keep humidity in. I personally have never done it. What I do for my 55 gallon tank is use pegboard as a lid. It works GREAT for keeping the humidity in. A big 2x4 sheet of it is like $5 at home depot... Then just cut it accordingly. Screen tops are seriously the biggest pain for keeping humidity lovers.

Jennifer

Thanks
    yeah i am dumb i wented to walmart and grabbed the first pad I saw....its the auto off 2 hour one...now i gott go all the ay back there and get a new one...

Thanks
    BP's require no light, as they are nocturnal/crepuscular. They do not need sunlight to synthesize vitamin D3 like lizards do. They obtain all their vitamins from their prey.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx