Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

0 members and 3,175 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 625 Posts
    I can't believe no one has suggested a budgie yet! I've had four, all lovely.. My first one, Lucky, lived for 10 years and was so, so smart. He could sing snippets of songs and say tonnes of words.. and his chatter wasn't too loud (for a bird). We would let him out in the morning before school and he would sit on the edge of our cereal bowls and eat our cheerios with us. When I get out of university, the first thing I'm doing is buying another budgie

Thanks
    Budgies are amazing as well, I've had 3, but they can definitely be loud if you aren't used to bird noise. Males especially can go on chattering "rampages" where they just chatter and squawk to themselves for hours. Personally, I enjoyed the noise, but others would find it dreadfully annoying.

0.2.0 Leopard Geckos- Gaia and Prim, 0.0.1 African Fat-tailed Gecko- Latte
    RIP Theia

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Yea i actually mentioned budgies earlier lol

My two were evil --->
    And more evil ------->

Thanks
    For what it's worth...

My vet who specializes in exotics, avian and reptile, told me not to keep birds and reptiles in the same room. More for the sake of the bird because they pick up stuff from the reptiles.

YMMV

Thanks
    If I had the money/room I'd get a pied crow Very smart and personable, but they've got a $1500 price tag and need a cage big enough to fly around in since they can't climb as psittacines (parrots) can. I'm just a sucker for corvids, ever since I (foolishly) kept a fledgling crow my grandpa found when I was younger. Loved that bird to death, but I'm lucky he lived until I figured things out, I had no idea what I was doing.

I've taken care of and been around cockatiels too, and they're awesome! No screeching, just whistles and some calls across the house if they're left alone and know you're there (or at least the couple I've been around). Very sweet birds when cared for properly

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have two ringneck doves, and I think they are the best (beginner) bird you could have. They aren't neurotic like the parrot family can be, you don't have to worry about biting at all, and they are generally pretty quiet.

My pair is actually a mated pair, and they are very much into each other, but they don't mind when I do take them out. Just because of how I am, I don't handle them much, but they adapt very well if you are the type of person that would have them out daily.

They tend to live between 13-15 years (mine are 10), but there have been some older, and you're not going to have the "rest of your life and then some" commitment like you would with a parrot.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks
    Above all else, I suggest joining a parrot forum (BirdBoard.com comes to mind) and spend some time browsing each of the threads dedicated to different species. I don't believe in the idea of a best 'beginner bird'. There are certainly birds that are more challenging due to behavioral or financial circumstances (a greenwing macaw or cockatoo is going to consume MANY more resources both emotionally and financially than a budgie or cockatiel, or an eclectus may demand a specialized diet that consumes more of your time to prepare), and there are birds that are more forgiving if you mess up... but there are so many species that are easily available, and many can be a great bird. Every species is intelligent to varying degrees, require toys, proper food and all require time to socialize with you.

Asking which bird is the best beginner bird is like asking which breed of dog is a good beginner dog. In reality, we should be asking 'which bird is most suitable for my home/lifestyle/sensitivities?' A pug would be a pretty crummy beginner dog for a sheep farmer if they need a working animal. Likewise a border collie often doesn't work out well for a sedentary family that never leaves their 2 bedroom apartment.

Lots of people LOVE cockatiels, and while they are generally quiet, and their loudest noises are not that loud at all, I cannot stand most of their whistles.

Same with many conures - lots of gorgeous birds, but many can be incredibly loud. The greencheek 'alarm call' might be easily ignored by some, but to me, the noise is grating and obnoxious.

I am inclined to suggest a senegal, because the one I have is perfect... for me. He is independent and even when he picks favorites, he is nice to everyone else. To another person, he may not be cuddly enough.

My point is, spend some time finding out about many species, even ones you may not have heard of before (or even species outside of the parrot family - pied crows are neat! Doves, pigeons, chickens, even toucans can be kept as pets). Learn about their general behaviors, talk to people who have experience with them and watch as many youtube videos as you can find that show the various noises each species makes. Don't 'settle' on a bird just because it's the easiest to find, the prettiest, or only one available. They are a big commitment, and even something like a budgie can live 10-15 years. All parrots are emotional animals that will remind you you're having a bad day before you realize it yourself, and it's worth the search to find one that fits your lifestyle.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 06-16-2012 at 06:26 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (06-20-2012),Valentine Pirate (06-16-2012)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123