Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

2 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks

What is a good Beginner Bird ??

Like the title says. My wife and I are considering getting a bird. We want a good beginner bird. Something that needs moderate socialization but could be taken out. For the time being the bird will be kept in the snake room. Just looking for some suggestions we have 2 cats and 2 dogs if that means anything lol. I just dont want to jump into something and not be able to give it the proper care.
    Thanks Everyone !!
    7.5 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1 Cats
    0.1 Chocolate Lab
    1.0 Lab/Pit Mix
    0.1 Wife (LOL)
    1.0 Kids

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parakeet and love Birds are great bird for beginners best is to buy a bird that was hand raised.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Look at conures. There are many colors and such available. They are the perfect size and they don't need near as much attention as the big parrots. That are also way cooler than a budgie or cockatiel.

Sent from my poo fone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Check out parrotlets. Worlds smallest parrots, very social but don't need to be handled all of the time. Mine is just awesome!
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    We have a conure, that my daughter and I wanted, Hubby didn't want anything to do with her. Well, she has decided she is Daddy's bird and wants nothing to do with my daugher or me. She was hand raised, my daughter and I were the ones that held her the most for about the first year and a half. I feed her treats fresh fruit, nuts and such almost daily. But in the last I would say 6 months she decided she liked dad better. Now she is obnoxious. She will scream for him every morning when he gets up. She knows when he gets up and stars about 5 minutes before that. They are fun to talk, sing, and whistle too. She says a few words. But she can be very loud. They need to have their toys swapped around every few months so they don't get bored. I make most of hers. Parakeets are cute if you don't want something you plan on holding much. The bigger birds are beautiful, but do require a lot more socialization to keep friendly. Personally, I like my snakes better

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Not a "love" bird! What a horrible name for those things. I had one as a kid, thing bit everyone in my family. And those bites didn't tickle. I will say they are beautiful to look at tho!
    Last edited by Rob; 06-15-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Also, every Quaker parrot I have ever met has been mean. My aunt used to have one that she let talk the house a lot, and it would actually chase people down to bite them. One day it came running/flapping down the stairs and bit the crap out of my husband.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Pssssh, Cockatiels aren't boring, they are popular for a reason! They are wonderful birds, not generally loud, can usually be cuddly, if you want to get the bird a friend one day it will still keep it's bond to you. Cockatiels are awsome!
    Conures are very clingy I've heard when they're hand-fed.. plus they can be super loud. I wouldn't suggest a Lovebird or a Parrotlet as a first time bird as they can be bossy and nippy and mean if not given attention all the time.
    Last edited by KTyne; 06-15-2012 at 10:04 PM.

0.2.0 Leopard Geckos- Gaia and Prim, 0.0.1 African Fat-tailed Gecko- Latte
    RIP Theia

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have a cockatiel he is never EVER a dull moment. He was my first bird and I recommend them 10000% to a newbie.

Super smart. Can talk and whistle up a storm. Very friendly.

Get a cockatiel you will not be disappointed.

here are two videos of mine when he was like 7 months I believe. He is 3 years now.

Last edited by Quantum Constrictors; 06-15-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    My brother had 2 parakeets for awhile. They were the most god awful annoying things that i have ever encountered. They chirped all the time and at dawn they were especially loud. Every morning for a year and a half i was woken up by them. I hated them and wanted to feed them to my snake so bad...

With that said, I really like African Grey Parrots. No one has mentioned them yet so i assume theyre probably not a beginner bird but every one of them i have encountered has been so cool. Theyre pretty trainable and intelligent too, which is neat.

Either way i wouldnt want a bird for a pet personally. I'll stick to herps and dogs lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast