Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

3 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Coconut husk Potting liners

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CobraCo-14...Liner/17443065

I was browsing my local walmart and stumbled upon these. They actually have a wider variety of sizes than I could find on Wally World's website. I was wondering if any one had used them for creating humid hides or perhaps for actual hides them selves?

I have never used coconut for substrate but I have seen a lot of talk about it being great for helping with humidity as well as a reasonably priced substrate.

They have them in all kinds of sizes from small 4 inch ones and up to giant 30 inch ones that I saw and much cheaper than this online pricing. They claim to be 100% coconut fiber but it felt kinda tacky to me and I was not sure if that is normal for coconut fiber.

Anyone with any knowledge or experience with these for any purpose?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I have looked at them in passing it feels odd to me as well. I use coco coir substrate so I am used to its feel. I might go to an actually greenhouse and talk with a knowledgeable clerk they may have better understanding of what else is in there. If it is safe for food crops I think it is fine for herps as long as it is free of fertilizer. You might check with the manufacturer. They often are very good (in general) responding to questions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Coco coir is a very good at holding moisture it is kinda like a sponge I can actually squeeze out water from saturated substrate. I am assuming you have a tank? I did this to solve the RH issues. I placed a plant saucer on the bottom of the cool side and then filled coco coir over and in in about 3-5 inches deep (cool side only) and I would about once a week poke a finger down and pour some water in to the saucer. It holds a large amount of moisture that slowly releases through the drier upper layers of substrate. I rarely misted and did not block the top at all.

Cheap yes it is, quite. Off the shelf at my regular home depot (in canada) it is 7$ for 3.3 cubic feet that is uncompressed That lasts me for 6 months for 11 snakes. I was getting larger blocks about 30 cubic feet for 18$ way cheaper but it was hard to store and hard to deal with generally and generally wasn't worth the savings....