Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

1 members and 3,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks, I got a lot of good info from this post!
    2.0 Red Tail Boa (BCC) - Neil, Hermes (Suriname)
    0.1 Normal Ball - Moonlight (RIP)
    1.0 BEL (lesser x mojave)
    0.1 Pinstripe - Starlight
    1.1 Dogs - Champ, Megan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ewaldrep For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (09-25-2012)

Thanks
    vote for sticky
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

4. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (11-30-2012)

Thanks

Re: Does my UTH need a thermostat? What about Thermometers?

Here is my question...where do you place the thermostat probe in relation to a UTH? Should it go between the UTH and the glass (where it would likely get messed up from the glue on the UTH) or inside the tank, between the glass and substrate (I'm using carpet currently, as I thought it would be easier and cheaper than a wood based substrate)? Thanks.

Aaron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly76 View Post
    Here is my question...where do you place the thermostat probe in relation to a UTH? Should it go between the UTH and the glass (where it would likely get messed up from the glue on the UTH) or inside the tank, between the glass and substrate (I'm using carpet currently, as I thought it would be easier and cheaper than a wood based substrate)? Thanks.

Aaron
    Either or really. I put mine inside the tank over the heat pad. I figure I want the hottest temp my snake will come in contact with not the highest the UTH will get which is two different things because of the glass in between.

1.0 '12 Cinnamon (Monty)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mercerasian View Post
    Either or really. I put mine inside the tank over the heat pad. I figure I want the hottest temp my snake will come in contact with not the highest the UTH will get which is two different things because of the glass in between.

That makes sense merc. What is a safe temp to set on the stat, to ensure that my BP doesn't get a burn? I'm new to BP's, and only got mine a week ago today, and not sure how hot is too hot. I want to make sure he is happy and healthy. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercerasian View Post
    WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

You never want the probe inside the tank, the snake can either dislodge the placement of the probe, water can spill on it or the snake can pee on it. If any of these things happen and they will, your UTH will spike in temperature causing serious injury to your snake.

The probe ALWAYS goes on the outside of the tank, the temperature will be set slightly higher than the desired temperature you want to achieve inside the enclosure. From here you either use a probed thermometer or a IR gun to measure the temperature of your hot spot.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by martin82531; 12-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks
    Also, when you do measure the temperature of your hot spot do it directly above the UTH on the inside of the enclosure, don't measure the temperature at the substrate level as snakes like to burrow.

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martin82531 View Post
    WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

You never want the probe inside the tank, the snake can either dislodge the placement of the probe, water can spill on it or the snake can pee on it. If any of these things happen and they will, your UTH will spike in temperature causing serious injury to your snake.

The probe ALWAYS goes on the outside of the tank, the temperature will be set slightly higher than the desired temperature you want to achieve inside the enclosure. From here you either use a probed thermometer or a IR gun to measure the temperature of your hot spot.

How would u recommend I protect the probe? I want to be able to use the same thermostat/probe when I move the snake to a larger tank. Therefore, I need to be able to remove it from the current tank. If the probe is between the UTH and the tank, it will be glued in place by the UTH. Currently, the probe is hanging over the "hot spot" and is only getting a reading of 86 degrees. The temp between the carpet and glass is at 83, using a digital thermo with a probe between the glass and carpet. The cool side is reading 77.4 with a combo digital termo/hygro suspended above the floor of the tank.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martin82531 View Post
    Also, when you do measure the temperature of your hot spot do it directly above the UTH on the inside of the enclosure, don't measure the temperature at the substrate level as snakes like to burrow.

Burrowing won't be an issue right now, as I am using carpet. If carpet turns out to be too big of a pain, or highly recommended against, then I'll switch to aspen. If I do switch, I'll keep that in mind. Again, how hot is too hot for the floor temp?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly76 View Post
    Burrowing won't be an issue right now, as I am using carpet. If carpet turns out to be too big of a pain, or highly recommended against, then I'll switch to aspen. If I do switch, I'll keep that in mind. Again, how hot is too hot for the floor temp?
    You want your hot spot at 90°. I have never used carpet myself but have heard they can have mold and mildew issues.

Last edited by martin82531; 12-08-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast