Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

0 members and 3,302 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Western Hognose....

Here are a couple of pics of my new PTT.....very cool looking spiders I think. I may get more into arachnids in the future. This is my first tarantula.

Thanks
    Great looking A. avic ya got there David. May I make a suggestion on your setup?
    Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

http://www.four-feathers-photography.com

Sure man! I welcome any and all suggestions. This is my first Tarantula so I still have alot to learn, lol.

Thanks
    Great!

First of all, Avicularia avicularia, or "Pink Toed Tarantulas" are from the South American forests. They are arboreal (tree dwellers) so the height of the enclosure is much more important than floor space. If this container is what you intend on keeping him/her in, you should tilt it on it's side to allow a higher ceiling. He/she will be much happier.

Second, I'm only guessing about the bowl that ya have in there. Is that a bowl filled with water soaked cotton? If so PLEASE lose it. First of all, cotton in the water dish is a breeding ground for bacteria. Not to mention that crickets will defectate in it. Also, your tarantulas fangs can get tangled in it. I don't care what the pet stores tell you, it's not a wise choice. Trust me. I've been keeping tarantulas for a few years, and have learned from some of the best in the field. They don't drink out of water soaked cotton in the wild. They can and will drink good old fashioned water. Get yourself a soad pop in a 20oz plastic bottle. Drink and enjoy the refreshing beverage. Get a razor blade or exacto knife and cut the bottom off of the bottle (about an inch up from the ground), wash it, fill it with water, and put it at the base of her preferred roost. She'll come down at night when the lights are out.

What kind of substrate are you using? Don't use cedar (which is toxic to tarantulas) or pine (which is questionable). You can use peat moss or potting soil. Just make sure there are no inscecticides in it before you buy it.

I hope this helps. If I can do anything to help you, please don't hesitate to ask.

My email address is: fourfeathers@mfire. com

Take care, good luck, and enjoy!
    Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

http://www.four-feathers-photography.com

Set up questions

Thanks for the info, Marcus! The cage it is in is a 14 quart rubbermaid so its a big cage from what others have told me. I think there is plenty of vertical space for the spider to enjoy, but I don't know much about them, lol. The water bowl has soaked paper towels, but I will take them out ASAP.

I am using cypress mulch as substrate. It has been in my house for a couple of months and its what I use in some of my snake cages. Thanks again for the help dude, I really appreciate it!

Banned
    Thanks
    Man, this invert. forum has become a very active forum, far exceeding my expectations.

David, that is one hairy tarant ya got there....

Thanks
    HI David,
    Avicularia avicularia are great T's. Very beautiful and mainly are found to be docile.
    marcus had some great suggestions there (he is great with arachnids).
    My husband likes to "showcase" our T's. One great idea he had was a ten gallon (or bigger depending on what is going in it) on it's side so it was verticle. then blocking the bottn half with plexi glass (so the substrate won't fall out when you open the cage) and then decorating as need be. This way it is larger for the tarantula and easily accesable to clean feed etc. If you use your imagination you can come up with beautiful enclosures for her.
    Anyhow have fun with her!!
    they are a great species
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks! I really am enjoying this lil critter. He is very interesting......I may just have to get more now, lol!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    looks sweet.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Pink toes are a great looking tarantula. I heard they have irritating hairs that can make you itchy if they get tweaked and release them.........is that true or is that another kind of pink toe?
    My son and I are pushing for a tarantula, but my wife is not cool with big hairy spiders..........LOL,will try hypnosis and bribery!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast