Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

2 members and 3,166 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Beginning to Breed Mice

Hey all. I'm going to be breeding feeder mice soon, and I've got a few questions for the BP.net folks!

1) I will be getting three pregnant females. I have separate enclosures for them right now, is this necessary?
    2) I was told that one male for breeding is plenty. Do I keep him in his own enclosure, with the females, etc?
    3) I was told start sexing at 4 weeks, and separate the males from females then. Good advice?
    4) Any other beginner tips? I have food, will be getting water bottles and bedding Friday before I get the mice.

Thanks!
    1.1.0 Normal BP's, Gene and <No Name Yet>
    .1 Red Tail Boa - Ruby
    .1 Creamsicle corn snake - Gobble

My snakey blog! Please read and comment, I value the opinions of the reptile community!

http://snakeystory.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    I'm breeding mice as well. You can keep all of the females together in one enclosure provided it is a good size. I keep mine 1 male to 5 females in a breeding group all housed together. I haven't had to worry about separating as I feed off or freeze before that becomes an issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Beginning to Breed Mice

Quote Originally Posted by Quacking-Terror View Post
    Hey all. I'm going to be breeding feeder mice soon, and I've got a few questions for the BP.net folks!

1) I will be getting three pregnant females. I have separate enclosures for them right now, is this necessary?
    2) I was told that one male for breeding is plenty. Do I keep him in his own enclosure, with the females, etc?
    3) I was told start sexing at 4 weeks, and separate the males from females then. Good advice?
    4) Any other beginner tips? I have food, will be getting water bottles and bedding Friday before I get the mice.

Thanks!
    1) You can house the females together.
    2) You can house a single male w/ a group of females.
    3) You can sex pups from birth. But it will be easier to tell once they are a few weeks old. Separate them once they are weaned (see them eating/drinking on their own.)
    4) Make sure there is GOOD ventilation. Good air flow makes a HUGE difference in the smell and prevents respiratory infections.

Thanks

Re: Beginning to Breed Mice

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    1) You can house the females together.
    2) You can house a single male w/ a group of females.
    3) You can sex pups from birth. But it will be easier to tell once they are a few weeks old. Separate them once they are weaned (see them eating/drinking on their own.)
    4) Make sure there is GOOD ventilation. Good air flow makes a HUGE difference in the smell and prevents respiratory infections.
    x2