Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

1 members and 3,261 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: HELP! My Ball Python hasn't eaten in months

Quote Originally Posted by BPNewb View Post
    Does it make a difference whether or not I take her out and hold her for a bit first, kind of get her moving before I put her back in to feed her? Or should I just plop in the food, and not touch her right before?
    I wouldn't do any handling before feeding. Keep handling to a minimum until she is feeding good for you again, you may be unknowingly stressing her out. I have found that I have much more success feeding in their enclosure where they feel comfortable instead of feeding in a seperate container.
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to el8ch For This Useful Post:

BPNewb (05-31-2012)

Thanks

Ok, I'll boost them to that, see how that goes ... the temps I posted earlier were measured from the middle of the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by el8ch View Post
    You should boost your temps. Cools side should be right around 80 with your hot side at 90!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I agree, I don't handle my snakes when they aren't eating, other than to clean the tub and take weights. Wether we like it or not, snakes can get stressed from handling.

Do you happen to have a picture of your setup? Also, are you using a thermostat with your heat sources? What kind of thermometers are you using?

Sorry for being so nit picky, but these details could mean the difference between your snake eating and not.

Is your snake fairly active? What kind of hides do you have? Is the snake in the hides more often than not?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

No problem for being nit picky, if I'm doing something less than optimal, I want to know so I can fix it!

I don't have any pictures off hand of the set up in it's entirety, I'll have to take a picture when I get home - at which point I can tel you the kind of thermometer I have (it's a digital one, that is linked up to a thermostat.)

Her activity level has been on and off, but usually only at night; then she's in the hides all day. She'll come out and crawl around at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I agree, I don't handle my snakes when they aren't eating, other than to clean the tub and take weights. Wether we like it or not, snakes can get stressed from handling.

Do you happen to have a picture of your setup? Also, are you using a thermostat with your heat sources? What kind of thermometers are you using?

Sorry for being so nit picky, but these details could mean the difference between your snake eating and not.

Is your snake fairly active? What kind of hides do you have? Is the snake in the hides more often than not?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Have you tried other types of prey?
    I had to jump start a rat feeder w/ a mouse because he was looking awful. He lost 30+% of his body weight.
    He has never had a mouse ever in his life. But he took it like candy. I offered a rat w/ the mouse just in case he wanted that instead, but he ended up taking both. (Mouse first, then the rat)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BPNewb View Post
    No problem for being nit picky, if I'm doing something less than optimal, I want to know so I can fix it!

I don't have any pictures off hand of the set up in it's entirety, I'll have to take a picture when I get home - at which point I can tel you the kind of thermometer I have (it's a digital one, that is linked up to a thermostat.)

Her activity level has been on and off, but usually only at night; then she's in the hides all day. She'll come out and crawl around at night.
    Do you know the kind of thermostat? I'm just wondering if maybe your temps are off. Does the thermometer have a probe that you can measure the hot side with?

If the temps aren't it, it might be a security issue in which case moving her to a tub or a smaller tank might help. Alternatively you could throw a bunch of crumpled up paper in the tank to provide some cover.

I had an adult ball python go on a hunger strike for more than 6 months. Before that, she was only eating sporadically. Since I got her she was a great feeder, it was just recently she decided she wasn't hungry anymore! I brought home a trio of ASF rats and the next day she took a f/t from me. This was about 4 weeks ago.
    ~Steffe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

BPNewb (05-31-2012)

Thanks

Yea, I just tried a mouse yesterday (she hasn't had mice in a few years) -- I think I'll try a mouse again the next few times, just to take a step back - especially since she hasn't eaten in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Have you tried other types of prey?
    I had to jump start a rat feeder w/ a mouse because he was looking awful. He lost 30+% of his body weight.
    He has never had a mouse ever in his life. But he took it like candy. I offered a rat w/ the mouse just in case he wanted that instead, but he ended up taking both. (Mouse first, then the rat)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I'm going for it...!

MAYBE it would like a F/T or pre-killed meal instead. Have you tried either of those?
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (05-31-2012)

Thanks

I haven't ... but I guess that would be the next step if she doesn't take this mouse again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I'm going for it...!

MAYBE it would like a F/T or pre-killed meal instead. Have you tried either of those?

Thanks

This is my set up .. heat lamp on top right, with heating pad underneath .. both hooked up to a thermostat. Then for good measure, 2 temperature strips on both cold and hot sides of the tank (I measure temp with an infrared temp gun. Also a humidity gauge on the mid/left side. Top 3/4 of the cage lid (from the left), is covered in foil/duct tape to help retain heat. 2 hides on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast