Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

1 members and 3,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm going through the same thing you are - hair everywhere. My reds never blow their coat quite properly, though - does yours? I've seen many a blue but only owned the reds and I've seen the traditional blowing of the coat on the blues. My reds have never done it quite like that. Or, perhaps, I just can't see it as well.

Wont be shaving my girl, though. I can live with the hair just fine - girlfriend doesn't appreciate it on her black uniform, though.... Haha.

Also - I worked in a grooming salon for a little while. Many people wanted breeds such as Beagles (most commonly, oddly) shaved and the groomers always told them that there was a chance that it would not grow back and if it did - it wouldn't grow back the same. An above poster said this wasn't true. Why not? Makes sense that if you cut, say, a Poodle whose hair grows consistently, not unlike a human, it will grow back. But a dog that doesn't have such a hair type - explain how it grows back, if you don't mind? I like big explanations! And I love to learn.
    0.1 Normal

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I don't know why it wouldn't grow back.. Dogs hair grows and sheds all the time. Much like a humans. Otherwise we wouldn't have hair everywhere in our homes, cars, and on us lol!! Plus they wouldn't get thicker in the winter when they are not shedding as often.

As for the reds blowing coat. The main thing I've noticed with mine over the last few years is that he would just get thinner in the summer but it didn't seem like he really shed his winter coat like I'd expect. If I hadn't shaved it so short, he would be shedding all over the place all summer long. Even with his new hair cut he is still shedding. This just makes it more manageable and easier to brush.

Another reason I did it is the fact that many herding dogs have skin issues. I had a blue years ago that would get patchy hot spots. My red here just seems itchy all the time. He's never had bugs. Gets frontline or revolution on him every month. He just has sensitive skin. I put extra virgin olive oil in his food once or twice a week. He gets bathed and conditioned when needed only. He's still itchy. This hair cut is also better for that since its easily brushed, washed, and easier for him to scratch an itch without scratching a bald spot on himself.

<---Signature--->
    Snakes, Jeeps, Dragons, Nature, & Knives.. Makes my world go-round!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Re: Shaved Australian Cattle Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    I don't know why it wouldn't grow back.. Dogs hair grows and sheds all the time. Much like a humans. Otherwise we wouldn't have hair everywhere in our homes, cars, and on us lol!! Plus they wouldn't get thicker in the winter when they are not shedding as often.

As for the reds blowing coat. The main thing I've noticed with mine over the last few years is that he would just get thinner in the summer but it didn't seem like he really shed his winter coat like I'd expect. If I hadn't shaved it so short, he would be shedding all over the place all summer long. Even with his new hair cut he is still shedding. This just makes it more manageable and easier to brush.

Another reason I did it is the fact that many herding dogs have skin issues. I had a blue years ago that would get patchy hot spots. My red here just seems itchy all the time. He's never had bugs. Gets frontline or revolution on him every month. He just has sensitive skin. I put extra virgin olive oil in his food once or twice a week. He gets bathed and conditioned when needed only. He's still itchy. This hair cut is also better for that since its easily brushed, washed, and easier for him to scratch an itch without scratching a bald spot on himself.

<---Signature--->
    Where did you hear about using the EVOO in their food Foschi?
    We put apple cider vinegar in my dogs food once a week and it seems to help, but she still itches. Shes also 13 and has had allergies her whole so that accounts for some of it. How old is your boy?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    If you wash the dogs at home, make sure you don't use full strength shampoo, it's hard to rinse off completely and leaves a residue that can make a dog itch.

I'm not positive, but I think reds are a dilute color? If so, dilute color coats tend to be softer, and thus the outer hairs "hold" the undercoat better than a regular hard coat, so you'd have to do more brushing to get that undercoat out. If red isn't a dilute, then I got nothing.

Dogs shed out hairs and grow in new ones all the time. When you cut hair(on anything, human, dog, fur or hair), you are cutting dead hair, not anything living. So the cut hairs don't "know" they've been cut. They shed out and the new ones grow in just like always.

The main reason that some people think double coated dogs won't grow the coat back is because many times the undercoat grows in faster than the harsher outer coat. The guard hairs almost always grow a bit slower than the undercoat. So the undercoat is longer at first and looks softer and not shiny and 'hard' like the normal coat looked. Instead of brushing and washing and waiting... people say "See! It's not growing back!" and they shave it again.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Where did you hear about using the EVOO in their food Foschi?
    We put apple cider vinegar in my dogs food once a week and it seems to help, but she still itches. Shes also 13 and has had allergies her whole so that accounts for some of it. How old is your boy?
    My ACD is 3 years old and I've seen the olive oil tip many times in various discussions on dog and pet boards online. I've also heard that you shouldn't give it to them every day. I'm not sure why but he has never had a problem with dull coat. Always plenty of oils to keep it nice. He's just itchy.

As for shampooing. I usually use a gentle or oatmeal based dog shampoo. I've used a good conditioner on a few times and I always rinse him well. He hates baths so I have a high powered sprayer I use so he isn't in a tub of water. I know, weird huh? He hates baths but cattle dogs generally love water and are built for swimming with their thick coats and webbed toes.

<---Signature--->

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    My ACD is 3 years old and I've seen the olive oil tip many times in various discussions on dog and pet boards online. I've also heard that you shouldn't give it to them every day. I'm not sure why but he has never had a problem with dull coat. Always plenty of oils to keep it nice. He's just itchy.

As for shampooing. I usually use a gentle or oatmeal based dog shampoo. I've used a good conditioner on a few times and I always rinse him well. He hates baths so I have a high powered sprayer I use so he isn't in a tub of water. I know, weird huh? He hates baths but cattle dogs generally love water and are built for swimming with their thick coats and webbed toes.

<---Signature--->
    We stopped using oatmeal shampoo bc while it was gentle, it also seemed to dry her skin out even more (which was already a side effect of her allergies). We started using Defendex Shampoo recently and have seen an improvement with her. Like i said though shes 13 so she doesnt have many more years left. Because of that we try not to do any drastic changes to her bc it puts her in a mood lol.
    Your ACD is very cute, Ive never seen a shaved one. I like the look of him better than a normal one with a bunch of hair lol!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    At the next time when you shave your dog, first bathing your dog thoroughly and wait for to be dry and then shave him carefully.
    The trimmers will go through the cover simpler if it's fresh and dry.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    At the next time when you shave your dog, first bathing your dog thoroughly and wait for to be dry and then shave him carefully.
    Yes when we do it this next year I will bathe him first to make it easier. It did grow back completely and thick just like before. Came back fast too. All of his white speckles and his red spot came right back lol!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post

any comments ?

Thanks
    How long did it take for his fur to grow back?? I just shaved my red heeler yesterday and she looks great Her fur was everywhere, i had to vacuum at least twice a week. I didn't realize she was skinny(healthy) her fur made her look like she was over weight. Her collar is too big for her now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast