Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

1 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Shaved Australian Cattle Dog!

I bet you've never seen one of these guys with a buzz cut! He's sooooo cute! I was afraid he'd look funny without that thick coat but he looks great. Super soft too without that coarse top coat. I need to blend it a little behind his head and go over a couple spots where I missed some hairs between his legs and stomach but I think it's a pretty good job for a first time. I just gave him a good bath and ear cleaning too. The way he's been running around and acting like a puppy, I think he likes it

You couldn't touch him before without fur flying everywhere. No matter how much brushing I did, he was blowing coat so bad I couldn't stand it anymore.

Here is Kains new do. Red Australian Cattle Dog (red heeler). These pics were before his bath. He's brighter now.

And here was his coat before. It's crazy thick and very dense but it's hard to tell in pictures. It was difficult to shave him. It took many passes in both directions. Weird how all the white hairs were the top coat.

<---Signature--->
    Snakes, Jeeps, Dragons, Nature, & Knives.. Makes my world go-round!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Capray (01-07-2013)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    He's adorbz!

My dog acts all happy after a bath. And she loves being shaved down too! Sheseems so upset when her hair is long lol

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dojme5

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    He looks like he likes it. Especially since its getting hotter out for summer. I would definetly keep him like that all summer.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Shaved Australian Cattle Dog!

He's really cute like that!
    `*`

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I did that with my acd/aussie girl several times. It seemed the only way to groom her. He looks good like that!
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tfpets For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfpets View Post
    I did that with my acd/aussie girl several times. It seemed the only way to groom her. He looks good like that!
    Oh I love it. It was such a pain trying to bathe him before. They're made to be water proof with the thick double coat. He'd clog my drain every time. This seems to have completely gotten rid of the doggy smell too. I'll be doing this more often for sure.

<---Signature--->

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    The reason it's so hard to shave that coat is because it's a double coat and because the hair was dirty with oil(naturally oily like healthy hair, not like motor oil).

If you shave him again, try bathing him and brushing and make sure he's thoroughly dry, then shave him. The clippers will go through the coat easier if it's clean and dry. Shaving against the "grain" is fine with most blades, I often use a #7F in 'reverse' on that type of coat with really good results.

Since you've bathed him now, you might try to run the clippers over him again when you go to "touch up" the spots. I bet the tracks and unevenness will disappear almost completely.

The color difference is common, since the undercoat is often a different color than the harsher outer coat hairs. The softness is also due to the undercoat being soft. He won't be as waterproof as before and the hair may get dirty easier for that reason. But since he's easier to wash, it's not much of an issue.

Nice job. I've seen groomer trainees that did way worse jobs than that. (And in case people fuss at you about not ever shaving double coated dogs, it should grow back in just fine, I do tons of double coated dogs and the coats always grow right back in fine).
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

bad-one (01-28-2013),Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-26-2012),Mike41793 (05-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Super adorable! I really like his colors. I bet he feels much better now that the temps are getting warmer.

I just shaved my bf's Australian Shepherd a few weeks ago and gave her a mohawk mullet. She looks ridiculous now. Haha

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-26-2012 at 02:18 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (05-26-2012)

Thanks
    How friggin cute!! I love how he's almost posing for the pics
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    The reason it's so hard to shave that coat is because it's a double coat and because the hair was dirty with oil(naturally oily like healthy hair, not like motor oil).

If you shave him again, try bathing him and brushing and make sure he's thoroughly dry, then shave him. The clippers will go through the coat easier if it's clean and dry. Shaving against the "grain" is fine with most blades, I often use a #7F in 'reverse' on that type of coat with really good results.

Since you've bathed him now, you might try to run the clippers over him again when you go to "touch up" the spots. I bet the tracks and unevenness will disappear almost completely.

The color difference is common, since the undercoat is often a different color than the harsher outer coat hairs. The softness is also due to the undercoat being soft. He won't be as waterproof as before and the hair may get dirty easier for that reason. But since he's easier to wash, it's not much of an issue.

Nice job. I've seen groomer trainees that did way worse jobs than that. (And in case people fuss at you about not ever shaving double coated dogs, it should grow back in just fine, I do tons of double coated dogs and the coats always grow right back in fine).
    What's the best way to blend it on his head better? I'd rather not shave his head and face. I only did his body. Didn't need to do his legs.

Next is my Turkish Angora cat. I want to give her a lion cut but I'm sure I'll mess it up. Her coat should be a lot easier on the clippers since she has no undercoat and her hair is silky and fine.

<---Signature--->

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast