Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

1 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well folks, some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around much the past week, and I have a good reason. My girlfriend and I took a trip up to D.C.. We spent an entire day at the National Zoo, (of course 75% of it in the reptile house )

Now for someone like myself, that doesn't get out very often, I saw some of the most amazing reptiles I've ever layed eyes upon. They had lots of venomous snakes, and I was able to witness 2 cobras breeding, a gaboon viper eating, and a boomslang climbing from branch to branch as if it was weightless. They had a few massive burmese pythons, and a green andaconda that was about 15 feet in length. I was beginning to get disappointed when the exhibit was coming to an end (i just wanted to see a ball )... and low and behold, one of the zoo keepers had one of his own pets with him. A 3 year old piebald with more white than I had ever imagined.

They had many species of lizards and geckos, the tokay being my favorite of the trip. They have exhibits for tamarins in the small mammel house, and inside were geckos everywhere. The exhibit description explained how tokays and tamarins live together benificially. The tokays were just chillin in the branches, and the tamarins didn't even seem to notice them. The exhibit was larger than my living room, and everywhere I looked I saw a gecko. In the reptile house, I got to witness the largest iguana I've ever seen eat a few grapes. Bearded dragons basking, marine iguana's swimming... and of course, komodo dragons... It was just a great day all in all...

But of all the reptiles I saw, the one I spent the most time watching was the plain jane red tail boa. It was massive, and very healthy. He seemed as if he was actually hunting in the wild.

Anyone in the Virginia/Maryland area, take a trip to the National Zoo in Washington. It's a non-profit zoo, the only thing you pay for is parking... Cost the two of us 20 dollars for a 12 hour trip to the zoo.

(sorry for the ramble, but I'm STILL excited 2 days later...)

-Will

Thanks
    Welcome back Will,
    I am glad you had such a great time!
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    That's great. I had a trip to the National Zoo 20+ years ago, and I'd love to go again.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    20+ years ago, so you got to see it in its good days... before it shut down for rat infestation from city rats. yuck.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I didn't know that had happened. They had a white tiger and two pandas on loan from Asia at the time, though. I think the pandas names might have been Ling Ling and Hsing Hsing. I was only 12 at the time so a lot of it has faded, but i remember being ver impressed with the golden lion tamarinds. I thought they were the most gorgeous creatures I'd ever seen.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I saw both of those Panda's, and they have a baby now... I don't recall it's name...
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Cool. I'm glad you got to go. I hope to make it to the San Diego Zoo sometime. My cousin lives walking distance from it, but i've never been.

Banned
    Thanks
    san diego zoo is very nice haven't been in a few years since my grandmas use to live in san diego but has since pasted on, but everytime we were down there we wouldgot to the zoo or the wildlife park both awesome. one year my cusin and i were gonna fly down for a week and do a summer program at the soo., but of course we never got to it

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Welcome back, Will. Glad to hear of a well taken care of reptile place.

Jennifer

Thanks
    Great to have you back Will. Glad to hear about the awesome visit. If you ever get out to Cali the San Diego Zoo is a must see as someone mentioned aswell as the Wild animal park but don't miss the Monterey bay aquarium if you can get there it's better than any that i've seen in Washington state or Oregon.
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast