Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,452

4 members and 2,448 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Early bloomers?

Thanks

Early bloomers?

Normally with my litters I wean them at 4 weeks, as long as they seem healthy (I've had a premature litter, and left the survivors in with their mom for 5 weeks). I'm good at sexing, and double check anyways because I've had a couple sneaky males in the past. However, even with all of this I currently have a grow out tub full of pregnant young females. 11 pregnant girls, a good deal younger than I would choose to breed them. I remove the male from my breeding groups once I see the moms swelling, so the culprit has to be one of the boys from the litter.

Especially since I separate them a little early, this is kind of frustrating. Anybody else been plagued by an early-blooming litter.... or want some baby rats next month?
    1.2 Normal BPs (Sekhmet, Tefnut, Vincent*)
    0.1 Coral Albino RTB (Eisheth)
    1.0 RTB (Cassanova*)
    0.3 Nicaraguan RTB (Type 2 Black Eye Anery w/Genetic Stripe. Eevee*, Daeva, A*)
    0.1 Corn (probably corn/rat mix. Trouble)
    1.0 Splendida King snake (Freebi)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Little Dude*)
    0.2 Halloween Crested Gecko: (Thing1*, Thing2*)
    1.1 Columbian BCC (Oolong, Pippin. Currently fostering with a friend)
    *Long-term pet sitting, not actually mine

Thanks
    Any chance one of the girls is actually a boy? Or is the weanling tub comprised of just the 11 heavily pregnant young does?

I can only speak from my experience, but have never had a 4 week old buck able to do the job. Your line is very virile

If it helps, just imagine that if you really wanted a group of does bred and put in a 4 week old buck, you wouldn't see a litter for months. Murphy's Law
    (I know, I know - that doesn't help. I tried!)

Thanks

Re: Early bloomers?

Quote Originally Posted by Grenna View Post
    Any chance one of the girls is actually a boy? Or is the weanling tub comprised of just the 11 heavily pregnant young does?

I can only speak from my experience, but have never had a 4 week old buck able to do the job. Your line is very virile

If it helps, just imagine that if you really wanted a group of does bred and put in a 4 week old buck, you wouldn't see a litter for months. Murphy's Law
    (I know, I know - that doesn't help. I tried!)
    Hahaha, yeah, that would be exactly what would happen!

At first I thought I must have just mis-sexed one. I've got one old male I would have sworn up and down was a female until he was almost 6 months. Temperament, size, and anything less than a very close physical exam would still lead most people to take him as a girl. Pretty sure he's infertile, too, so he may just be an in-between. Sweetest pet rat though, makes a great cage-mate for my retirees and oddballs.

However, when I cleaned the girls' cage a couple days ago they were all showing pregnant bellies, and most of them had visible nipples, so either I have a male with megacolon or a pot belly, or I did indeed sex them correctly. Thank the rat fertility gods that I'm picking up a rack my friend is building for me next week, haha.
    1.2 Normal BPs (Sekhmet, Tefnut, Vincent*)
    0.1 Coral Albino RTB (Eisheth)
    1.0 RTB (Cassanova*)
    0.3 Nicaraguan RTB (Type 2 Black Eye Anery w/Genetic Stripe. Eevee*, Daeva, A*)
    0.1 Corn (probably corn/rat mix. Trouble)
    1.0 Splendida King snake (Freebi)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Little Dude*)
    0.2 Halloween Crested Gecko: (Thing1*, Thing2*)
    1.1 Columbian BCC (Oolong, Pippin. Currently fostering with a friend)
    *Long-term pet sitting, not actually mine