Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

3 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts

Today I make one of the hardest decisions I ever have to make.

It's not an easy decision to make. Most of us have been there at least once. It's not a place anyone likes to be, but sooner or later we all must go.

My beloved beagle mix Piper was diagnosed with cancer in December. It is malignant, fast growing and aggressive. There is no cure for it, the best we could hope for is time. That time has now come to an end.

He has been the best dog I've ever known. A close friend, loving companion, sweet and gentle soul. An odd dog to be sure, but one I'd never trade for anything. Only once in his life did he meet someone who he didn't consider a friend, and I'll believe to my dying day that man was a murderer or a rapist or something else terrible.

He loved everyone, people, dogs, cats. He let himself be abused by the kittens he adored, babysat my daughter's rats when she had them out and had to leave the room. He let the ferret win, even when it came to something as sacred as his crate. He loved to take walks, and he loved to go fishing, though he never swam. Kids on bicycles, skateboards and roller skates fascinated him, but he never barked at them. Dogs who walked by his yard were studied with curiosity, even with they barked insults at the top of their voices, he did not respond in kind.

I could go on for hours about how wonderful he has been, we all love him dearly. He has fought the good fight for months now. While the cancer took over his body, he learned to adjust to things being different. The left side of his face became paralyzed, so he learned to eat on the right. He got short of breath easily, so he learned to take things more slowly and enjoy things more.

But this morning when he went outside, he stopped halfway across the yard, and simply laid down. He is saying goodbye to the things that he loves, he knows the time has come. And I ? Because of my great love for him, I made the choice that had to be made. He goes to the vet this afternoon. And tonight it won't be the same without him.

Goodbye my beloved baby, I will miss you so.

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 05-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Sorry to hear that, I just recently lost my dog of 15 years so I know how bad it feels. Just try to remember the good times you had together, I know that's what I do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-18-2012)

Thanks
    You're making me tear up at work.

There is nothing in the world better than a companion that just 'fits'. Anybody who doesn't love animals just can't understand that kind of love. I'm so sorry you have to lose your boy. He sounds like the most amazing dog. As hard as it is, that just goes to show how much you love your little guy and that you'd do anything to give him quality of life. Not everyone is as strong as you are to make that decision.

You have my deepest sympathies, and my thoughts are with you and your family.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-18-2012)

Thanks

Re: Today I make one of the hardest decisions I ever have to make.

This made me cry. But at least he will not be suffering any more andremember it is OK to cry
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crepers86 For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    I am so sorry for you, my heart goes out to you. It's such a hard decision to make even though you know its the right one. Losing a beloved baby like that is not easy. Probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. You will be in my thoughts.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-18-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We all have to make this descision at some point and it's never an easy one.

Focus on those wonderful year you had with him and remember that part of loving you animal is also to make that descision.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-18-2012)