Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time

Thanks

First time

Hello!

First of all, after searching through these forums all afternoon and evening to compile information, I have to give praise to this place. I've never seen such depth/detail. So I feel like I'm in a great place.

I'm a first time/soon-to-be BP owner. I have an idea of the setup I want and money isn't an issue really. Here's what I wanna get:

Zilla 40 gallon critter cage
    Exo Terra water dish
    Zoo Med repti-therm UTH 8x12"
    24qt aspen bedding
    2 identical snug-fitting hides
    Random tank decorations
    Accu-rite thermometer/hygrometer
    CHE
    Thermostat

My questions are:

1. Should I buy a lamp stand for the CHE to keep it off the mesh lid?

2. What CHE should I buy?

3. What color/type bulb should I select?

4. What thermostat should I get to control my UTH/CHE?

I know 40 gallon tank is extreme for a juvenile/baby BP but I figure why go through the entire setup twice in its life? I plan on having the hides replaced as it grows so they stay size appropriate. Plus after I get decorations and water dish and other climbing things it won't seem so gigantic. I plan on "wallpapering" the back and sides to make it seem more confined as well.

The last thing I'm curious of:

What breeders are recommended for acquiring a normal BP as young as possible. I want it to have taken food, but I want as close to a baby as possible. And I have a couple local herp vets I've found... Do I need to take my BP in for an initial once over or are they only necessary if I suspect an illness?

Thanks so much everyone!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Aquariums are for fish, not reptiles. you will hate yourself if you get a 40 gallon, plus unless you really provide enough cover your Bp is going to be stressed out and probably not eat. for around the same price you can get a professionally made reptile cage like these:

These hold heat and humidity in much better.

Here is a thread I wrote on them.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...With-Pictures!

Here is where you can get them: http://www.animalplastics.com/ I suggest the T8

That setup that you just described will be a world of hurt, and really is not appropriate for a hatchling BP at all.

I suggest that you give this a read through if you have not already: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 05-17-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Slim (05-17-2012)

Thanks
    Welcome to BP.net!! Will try an answer a couple questions for ya...

Personally I stay away from CHE's as they kill humidity in glass viv setups. If you do need a CHE or an Infrared Bulb to boost ambient air temperature you will have to partially cover the top of the mesh enclosure to maintain proper humidity levels. If your ambient air temp is already in the high 70's or low 80's scrap the CHE.

Thermostat all depend on how much you want to spend. I use Spyder Robotics HERPSTATS on all of my enclosures. They are slightly more expensive than their competitors, but offer a solid product.

If you are starting off with a 40 gallon tank just make sure to clutter it up a bit to mnake your snake more comfortable. I would recommend cover the back and sides with cardboard or something else that is not see through to make your snake feel even more comfortable. I would suggest a PVC enclosure or a tub setup instead of the aquarium setup though.

Breeders... All reputable breeders will ensure that any hatchlings being sold have accepted at least 3 meals. There are many individuals on this site that can offer you the exact animal you are looking for.
    Last edited by el8ch; 05-17-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks
    For the price of the 40 gallon I would seriously look at the animal plastics t8. They run about 150. Just switched from a tank to pvc bet thing I ever did. I wasted way more than the difference in price trying to get the tank to work.

Thanks

Re: First time

Those T8 enclosures look great! I have a few more questions about them.

1. Will they require any CHE? If not that would be solid.

2. I read there are two methods of heating. If I do the flex watt, will it only be positioned in the middle of the enclosure? I was under the impression that BPs needed a gradient temperature range (one side warm, the other end gradually getting cooler). Or will the temps be where they should in the middle as well as the two ends? I want to make sure there are the proper differences.

3. If I get the flex watt, am I not able to use aspen bedding? Or will the temperatures just need raised via thermostat in order to penetrate the extra thickness of aspen bedding vs paper towels/newspaper? Or do I need to go with the radiant heat panels?

If I do go with heat panels, are they hard to install? Are they safe for the BP? Will I need to mount them in the middle like the UTH or put one at each end?

4. Are the lights a good thing to get? If so do I need two or one? I plan on not having the divider in.

5. I like the idea of taller enclosures, would the T12 be a better choice? If so, do the same things still apply to it as the T8?

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Welcome to BP.net!

Quote Originally Posted by bkcouturier View Post
    Those T8 enclosures look great! I have a few more questions about them.

1. Will they require any CHE? If not that would be solid.

PVC enclosures don't require a CHE. If you have to heat the ambient air around the enclosure to raise the cage ambient, there are a couple of better ways to do it.

2. I read there are two methods of heating. If I do the flex watt, will it only be positioned in the middle of the enclosure? I was under the impression that BPs needed a gradient temperature range (one side warm, the other end gradually getting cooler). Or will the temps be where they should in the middle as well as the two ends? I want to make sure there are the proper differences.

A UTH or Flexwatt will go under one end of the enclosure to provided belly heat on the warm end. This can also be provided using back heat, but, In my experience, belly heat is easier to deal with and more consistant. Keep in mind that UTH or Flexwatt heat does not really affect the ambient temp in a large enclosure. To raise the ambient, you'll need to keep the cage in a warmer room, use a oil filled heater, or use a radient heat panel. (This is true of any enclosure, not just the type we're talking about here.

3. If I get the flex watt, am I not able to use aspen bedding? Or will the temperatures just need raised via thermostat in order to penetrate the extra thickness of aspen bedding vs paper towels/newspaper? Or do I need to go with the radiant heat panels?

You can use aspen with a UTH or Flexwatt.

If I do go with heat panels, are they hard to install? Are they safe for the BP? Will I need to mount them in the middle like the UTH or put one at each end?

They're not that hard to install and they are safe. Unlike the UTH that is used on one end to create a warm side, the UTH is usually mounted in the middle to provide overall ambient heat.

4. Are the lights a good thing to get? If so do I need two or one? I plan on not having the divider in.

When I used PVC cages, I had a light installed, but really didn't use it that much. Your mileage may vary.

5. I like the idea of taller enclosures, would the T12 be a better choice? If so, do the same things still apply to it as the T8?

Even though you may like the look of a taller enclosure, keep in mind that your BP is a ground dweller, and all that extra space is just more area you'll need to heat and maintain humidity for.

Thanks guys! Anytime!
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

It looked like the only way the UTH came was to place it in the middle underneath. That's fine with me as long as the temps are cooler on the two ends. And I've watched quite a few videos that showed snakes that were "climbers" so I wanted to fit some taller things for the BP to climb.

It looks like I will need to get radiant heat panels regardless though

Thanks
    The UTH can be mounted on the right, left or center.... It needs to be in the center if you are using a cage divider so both sides of the cage get heat. The standard way AP sets up cages is to put the UTH on the right side of the cage. (I had to ask them to get mine with the center mount)

I have both the T8 and T12. I would stick with the T8 for BP's but there is nothing wrong with the T12. Be warned though, a T8 will be shipped to you in about 10 days - 2 weeks but a T12 will take 6-8 weeks.

regardless of cage size the same principals apply. Things like Radiant heat panel wattages may vary (taller cage = more air to heat)

also if you get the radiant heat panel ahead of time, and have it shipped to AP they will install it for you and make a nice power cable hole.

I like having the lights in them, but they are not 100% necessary.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 05-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

So contact AP ahead of time to tell them which side I want the UTH to be on? And what radiant heat panel would you recommend for the T8?

Thanks
    For the T8 I would suggest the reptile basics 40 Watt mounted in the center of the cage. it will maintain the air temperature at 80 degrees and the flexwatt will provide the basking spot on the right side of the cage (default flexwatt placement by AP)

When you order the cage they will send you an email and you can tell them exactly how you want it, or you can call them to order it instead and tell them then.
    ~Aaron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast