Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,095

0 members and 3,095 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: multiple males

Thanks

multiple males

Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you all.

How do you guys feel about pairing multiple males to one female. I know it would get confusing with recessive genes. But I just purchased a 06 spider female who produced 9 eggs in 2010 and hasn't been bred since..

I am assuming I will get at least 9 eggs from her next season and the male lesser I was planing to pair to her to will be just about 600-800 grams. I want to make sure she gets as many plugs into her as I can.. I was contemplating pairing her to my male pastel as well..

Considering all the genes at play will be co-dom there will be no confusion with hets, so in my mind it's a good idea, but maybe there is something I am over looking.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
    Chris.
    Last edited by decensored; 05-15-2012 at 03:31 AM.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I think that it is perfectly fine, there will be no question who the father is when they hatch with co-doms. I wouldn't do it will recessives but co-doms/doms sure.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

decensored (05-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    I think it kind of depends on what your goal is. I put my Enchi with both my Spider girl and Butter girl and didn't rotate any other males in because I was determined to produce Enchi's and Enchi mixes (and both females are about to lay ). But if I wasn't dead set on Enchi's I'd definitely rotate other males in just to be sure someone gets it done. With recessives I'd probably stick to one male.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

decensored (05-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    You're not overlooking anything. Breeding dom/co-dom to a female results in a fun "who's your daddy" clutch! As long as recessive males aren't involved you're all good.

If the female was recessive, same story. Any co-dom/dom males would work since 100% of the offspring will be het for the recessive girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to h00blah For This Useful Post:

decensored (05-15-2012)

Thanks
    k great! I don't want to throw all my eggs in to one basket (no pun intended) LOL. I would like to see some Lesser Bees but frankly I just want to produce something next year.

My male pastel is het. axanthic and he will be going in with my female pastel het. axanthic. but I am not to concerned about carrying the possible het onto offspring. It wont be advertised when I got to sell any pastel or bumblebee offspring. Although if I produce a bumblebee PH ax. I will probably hang onto it and breed it back into the project. some axanthic bumble bees would be cool.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

BFE Pets (05-15-2012),h00blah (05-15-2012)

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Re: multiple males

Lol I got on here to ask that very same question! Thanks. I have a couple virgin males that will be ready for next season and was thinking about running them with the same females just incase one isn't feeling ready by then.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BFE Pets For This Useful Post:

decensored (05-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by decensored View Post
    k great! I don't want to throw all my eggs in to one basket (no pun intended) LOL. I would like to see some Lesser Bees but frankly I just want to produce something next year.

My male pastel is het. axanthic and he will be going in with my female pastel het. axanthic. but I am not to concerned about carrying the possible het onto offspring. It wont be advertised when I got to sell any pastel or bumblebee offspring. Although if I produce a bumblebee PH ax. I will probably hang onto it and breed it back into the project. some axanthic bumble bees would be cool.
    AX BEES! Very nice! I would still advertise as "PH ax" because the gambler side of people will encourage them to just go for it anyways . I wouldn't care to price them as such though, which would also help you sell them quicker !
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to h00blah For This Useful Post:

decensored (05-15-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h00blah View Post
    AX BEES! Very nice! I would still advertise as "PH ax" because the gambler side of people will encourage them to just go for it anyways . I wouldn't care to price them as such though, which would also help you sell them quicker !
    great advice! thanks