Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,095

1 members and 1,094 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herpstat 1 or 2

Thanks

Herpstat 1 or 2

Do you think the herpstat 2 is worth the extra money? I'm going to purchase one of these thermostats today and am on the fence between the 1 or 2. Thanks.

BPnet Veteran Exotic Ectotherms's Avatar
    Thanks
    It depends how many things you want to control with it. If you are only controlling 1 rack, then the herpstat 1 is sufficient. If you want to control 2 separate enclosures, then go with the Herpstat 2.
    1.0 Mojave 100% Het VPI Axanthic "Pleepleus"
    1.2 Albino Common Snapping Turtles "Beavis, Patty & Selma"

Thanks
    i have 3 herpstats: herpstat, heprstat II, and herpstat ND. frankly, the herpstat is sufficient but i like the herpstat II, it's design is nicer and if you want to hook up a second rack in the future - you already have the control system.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

Slim (05-14-2012)

Thanks

Re: Herpstat 1 or 2

Can you have a few racks plugged into one herpstat 1? Or if you had just the herpstat 1 would you have to get seperate thermostats for each rack? The herpstat 2 just has one more probe correct?

Thanks
    You can plug more then one rack in if you don't exceed the wattage that the herpstat can handle.

Thanks
    A herpstat II is two herpstat I's in the same case. So if you ever plan on buying another tstat in the furture just buy the II and save some money.
    "Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown

Thanks
    thanks for the help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    This I find to be an odd question. The 1 and 2 as mentioned are very different the intro and one would be a typical question. Are you sure you have the two units correct? The two controls two separate heating units and the one only a single one.

the basic and one both are single outlet controllers the basic is slightly different the largest of those differences are the basic is not a pulse proportional and does not have a secondary safety system relay. I would buy the HS1 over the basic in almost every case. The basic is not a versatile.

Thanks

Re: Herpstat 1 or 2

As stated. Herpstat 1 controls one tepmerature zone while the Herpstat 2 controls two temperature zones. The Herpstat 1 will run multiple racks no problem as long as you plan on running them at the same temp and do not exceed the max wattage.
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

Thanks
    Okay here is a simple guide to follow:

Herpstat I (original) - 1 channel - NFS

Although the basic Herpstat controls only one temperature gradient it is equipped with multiple outlets so that you can connect multiple heat sources AS LONG AS THE HEAT SOURCES ARE THE SAME. i.e. you can connect two identical pieces of flexxwatt to a single herpstat. This product is no longer for sale directly from spider co but you can still find it floating around on the market.

Herpstat ND - 1 Chanel -NFS

essentially the same same device as a herpstat I, the Herpstat ND comes with the Night Drop feature to lower the temperature on the same channel during set times in the day. This product has been deemed obsolete thanks to the new line of Herpstat I and II, which feature Night Drop.

Herpstat I basic - 1 channel - $115.00

The herpstat I basic is essentially the same system as the original Herpstat. It is a baisc Herpstat without Night Drop or humidity control. It is a relatively inexpensive and fully functional thermostat with the reliability that Spider Robotics is known for. The new design makes it much more aesthetically pleasing and the fuses are user replaceable, making the 2012 Herpstat I basic much more economical than the original system.

Herpstat I - 1 Channel - $139.00

The 2012 herpstat I is an upgraded version of the original Herpstat. Equipped with Night Drop and humidity control it is more versatile than the original. The Herpstat I has one channel so that you can control a single temperature gradient with the added feature of night time temp drops. It comes grounded which makes it ideal for racks made of conductive materials.

Herpstat II - 2 channels - $195.00

The herpstat II has two channels for controlling two different heat sources at different temperatures. It functions in the same way that two different Herpstat I's would. The Herpstat II features Night Drop to bring the temperatures lower at set points during the day. You can run two separate racks or enclosures from one thermostat safely and efficiently. The 2012 Herpstat II's also have humidity control which is an upgrade from the older counterparts. The 2012 also comes grounded, the original Herpstat II did not..

Herpstat PRO - 4 channels - NFS

Although expensive the Herpstat PRO is great for breeders, and people with large collections. You can run 4 separate racks or enclosures, using different heat sources, from one control system. The herpstat PRO also includes the Night Drop feature. This product is no longer available new from Spider Electronics, but can still be found with some resellers, and of course on the market as used devices..

Herpstat 4 - 4 Channels - $339.00

The Herpstat 4 is essentially the new and improved Herpstat PRO, although outfitted with all the same features as the PRO, it also includes humidity control which makes it great as a vivarium regulator. The Herpstat 4 also features grounded outlets.

So there you have it, most of this information of course can be found on Spider Robotics website http://spyderrobotics.com/index.html. My personal recommendation for people with relatively small collections would be to get the new 2012 herpstat II. For the money, it's a great product and is outfitted with some great new features.

Cheers,
    Chris.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (05-15-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast