Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,275

2 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What would you do with 30 acres?

I've been day dreaming about how I would like to change my life and be more dependent on the land. And how I would like to live a healthier life style. With that being said I was thinking if I could find 30 acres I could farm enough to live almost completely off the land and sell what I won't use to supply the rest.

So if you had 30 acres of land to do anything you wanted with what would it be?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    You plan on hunting for meat?

Thanks
    Nice house, fully stocked fishing pond, large vegetable garden, possibly raise chickens and pigs... And can't forget the separate building for snakes and rats like muddoc is building... Oh, and a dirt track for dirt bikes and 4-wheelers...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inknsteel For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (05-09-2012),AK907 (05-09-2012)

Thanks

Re: What would you do with 30 acres?

Quote Originally Posted by Inknsteel View Post
    Oh, and a dirt track for dirt bikes and 4-wheelers
    I would do this as well, and probably build a 9 hole golf course so I could always be touching up my game. Other than that, a nice but not too big house. I would say I'd have some cattle but since it typically stays hot and dry here in Texas, it might be a pain raising them if the lack of rain continues.
    Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    You plan on hunting for meat?
    Not on my land. I would hunt with family on their land. On my land I would have 4 separate pastures for cows and chickens I would have garden on it. Not sure what else though.

Thanks
    Do you have alot of trees? If so id go through and look for different hardwoods and sell a few to a veneer harvesters. (GOOD money in that) Then Use the profits to build a decent size green house (garden all year round) and snake barn.

Dig a pond if there isnt one already

Raise chickens and let them free roam

Build a flight cage and raise quail (Id go with Coturnix- 16 day incubation, full grown at 5weeks laying eggs at 6, and females lay up to a 100 eggs a year

Get a few Numbian Goats (milk)

Plant a bunch of berry bushes. Peach and apple trees if u can.

Make a shine still

Set up rain catching drums for ur garden.

Outside of green house grow corn, pumpkins, squash, ect
    Inside green house every herb, tomatoes, naval orange tree, strawberries, grapes, stuff like that.

And if you dont know already learn how to make canned food the old fashioned way.
    BPs
    Ive lost count

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I second learning to preserve and can your self growns. You might be surprised how well stocked you can keep yourself with as little as a 1/2 acre plot and good planning.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    My grandparents coincidentally own 30something acres of land in New Bern, NC. I believe only 11 acres are actually cleared out though. There was a smaller house at the front of the property when they bought it but they built a house and a "barn"(garage/workshop) towards the back of the property away from the road. They planted a crapload of different types of trees in between the two houses so its like a nice grove. They sold the small house in the front when they finally moved into the new house in back. They now have a pretty big vegetable garden going and a flower garden all around their house. My grandpa also collected a crapload of acorns while he was up visiting us in connecticut a year ago and now has about 25 oaks growing out behind his "barn". The rest of the cleared property they just mow i guess. Theyre not animal people at all so i cant see them ever raisng any animals lol. If i lived their i would raise chickens, ducks, pigs and probably a few cows or goats (to help eat all the grass lol). Idk if id make their garden any bigger bc as it is its enough work. They now grow corn, varieties of tomatoes, cucumbers, asparagus, squash, cantalopes (the best cantalopes ive ever eaten, you have no idea how good they are lol), a variety of different berries, and some other stuff im probably forgetting. I would also try growing hot peppers and citrus fruits too if i lived there but idk if thats the right climate for them really. I live in CT now but as soon as i finish college im moving south. Either NC, GA, SC, or FL. Im not exactly sure yet though but i cant wait. I HATE CT and the entire winter season with a passion. Ive only visited NC in july/august and im fine with that heat so the weather the rest of the year should be sooo nice.

Thanks
    skate park full of trannies......no not those kind! pools, bowls, and min ramps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

MrLang (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    My grandparents coincidentally own 30something acres of land in New Bern, NC. I believe only 11 acres are actually cleared out though. There was a smaller house at the front of the property when they bought it but they built a house and a "barn"(garage/workshop) towards the back of the property away from the road. They planted a crapload of different types of trees in between the two houses so its like a nice grove. They sold the small house in the front when they finally moved into the new house in back. They now have a pretty big vegetable garden going and a flower garden all around their house. My grandpa also collected a crapload of acorns while he was up visiting us in connecticut a year ago and now has about 25 oaks growing out behind his "barn". The rest of the cleared property they just mow i guess. Theyre not animal people at all so i cant see them ever raisng any animals lol. If i lived their i would raise chickens, ducks, pigs and probably a few cows or goats (to help eat all the grass lol). Idk if id make their garden any bigger bc as it is its enough work. They now grow corn, varieties of tomatoes, cucumbers, asparagus, squash, cantalopes (the best cantalopes ive ever eaten, you have no idea how good they are lol), a variety of different berries, and some other stuff im probably forgetting. I would also try growing hot peppers and citrus fruits too if i lived there but idk if thats the right climate for them really. I live in CT now but as soon as i finish college im moving south. Either NC, GA, SC, or FL. Im not exactly sure yet though but i cant wait. I HATE CT and the entire winter season with a passion. Ive only visited NC in july/august and im fine with that heat so the weather the rest of the year should be sooo nice.
    NC is a great place to live. I hated the weather up north when I lived there, I was in Maryland, West Virginia, and Ohio. Citrus trees wouldn't survive the frost we get here but peach and apple trees do great. I have family not too far from New Bern, in Newport, that have a good bit of land (actually the land I was talking about hunting on) but most of it is wooded for hunting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast