Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

1 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Oh, Nergal, you can't be my alarm clock.

I made a rookie mistake and it won't happen again! I hope someone learns from this. I'm sharing it because I'm elated that nothing bad happened and everyone is ok, and it turned out cute now that I'm fixing the problem--building an escape proof rack instead of tanks!
    Anyway.
    ===One of Nergal's cage clips had broken a while back so we figured his huge 40 gal breeder lid with all the duct tape and aluminum foil was heavy enough that he couldn't push the lid up. We haven't had a ball python escape in the whole 2 years we've had them--only our baby corn snake has ever done it.
    This morning I woke up and felt something cold on my face.
    I opened my eyes and, oh my goodness, NERGAL WAS CRAWLING ON MY FACE.
    After I grabbed him and examined every inch of him to make sure he had no injuries (and scolded him for almost giving his mommy a heart attack lol), I couldn't help but giggle after I thought about how to fix the situation.
    Silly Nergal! Of all the places he could have gone in my whole wide room that were closer than the bunk bed...under the bunk bed, out the door, behind the dresser, in the closet....that goofy boy crawled over to our bed and not only that, he climbed UP a box, tangled himself in an xbox controller cord (told you he loves xbox!) and slithered on my face. Turns out that night I fell asleep with the xbox on by accident, too.
    Anyone else think he was saying, "Good morning, guys--I can has play xbox nao pl0x?"
    What a goof! I'm so relived he didn't go far like our baby corn snake, who left the room at one point to slither behind a bookcase in the hallway--this silly guy just crawled to the bed and woke me up. Hehehe!
    It made me giggle.
    As an afterthought, though I think it is cute now, it was terrifying to wake up and not know if he was ok and how he had gotten out. It was also extremely unsafe, and a rookie mistake to think he couldn't push up the lid. It does not matter how heavy you think it is, they will be stronger, and they will get out. Please use cage clips or a luggage strap!
    I'm currently building a rack system (with Max's help of course) and it should be done soon. No escapes from there!
    .....and, we owe Nergal an xbox and snuggle date tomorrow. We haven't played Halo in months, I bet he's sad. lol.
    Last edited by shelliebear; 05-04-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Haha! Glad to hear it all turned out okay. Good luck with the rack system.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelrachel13 For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Glad it turned out ok. I might not be so lucky if this ever happened to me. I have a 17lb Maine coon prowling my basement apartment who has claws and knows how to use them. Hence the 2 luggage straps and half dozen binder clips on my tub. Again, glad this had a happy and funny ending.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brokenangelr For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (05-04-2012)