Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

1 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I don’t look like a snake owner?

Quote Originally Posted by decensored View Post
    lmao! that's funny. I guess people tend to associate snakes with tattoos and piercings, heavy metal, long haired men or bearded bald guys. I suppose I just described myself...
    Or me. Just - with short pixy hair.
    Nobody seems surprised when they find out I have reptiles. They're more surprised by the rats and cats I think...

I think it just has to do with how they perceive snake owners to look. I'm guessing that they probably don't go on herp forums or anything, so they may not know the very wide variety of people that do own reptiles. They probably (subconsciously, I'm not saying they do it on purpose) just assume that people like them are who own snakes. Not sure though.

Also - I think I might name a snake Beauregard. That's a pretty epic name.
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Xotik For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    We hear the stories on here about spouses/family/etc scolding members or people we know for having snakes with small children. Even though it's totally nonsensical, maybe he was thinking it was weird for a mom to be ok/have snakes with smaller kids?

Doesn't make any sense to me either way. There are -so- many different kinds of snake keepers that it's not accurate anymore to say it's only fringe society members or whatever. Used to be unusual to have pet snakes, but it seems to be growing fast. People might still be getting used to the idea it's not all that uncommon anymore (and we want to encourage others as well )
    My mom doesn't like snakes but doesn't have a problem with me having them. My In-laws don't really get the whole having animals that are counted as family member thing. I don't see how snakes could possibly be more dangerous than my horses.

I really think that everyone seems to view snake owners as irresponsible teenagers with bad hygiene and black clothing. BP.net has tons of awesome teens that are great pet owners. I'm convinced the bad rep comes from TV!
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decensored View Post
    lmao! that's funny. I guess people tend to associate snakes with tattoos and piercings, heavy metal, long haired men or bearded bald guys. I suppose I just described myself...
    I admit to LOVING heavy metal, symphonic metal, neoclassical metal, black... Yeah Meatal

Can't pull off a beard though...

Quote Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
    I think it just has to do with how they perceive snake owners to look. I'm guessing that they probably don't go on herp forums or anything, so they may not know the very wide variety of people that do own reptiles. They probably (subconsciously, I'm not saying they do it on purpose) just assume that people like them are who own snakes. Not sure though.

Also - I think I might name a snake Beauregard. That's a pretty epic name.
    I must just look like a boring 'mom.'

When I heard Beauregard I instantly thought Red Tail!
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Because snakes are icky, slimy, and yucky and good girls arent supposed to like them! Its called judging, and everyone does it lol!
    I also love heavy metal and tattoos! This means that poodle owners must listen to justin bieber then right?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Because snakes are icky, slimy, and yucky and good girls arent supposed to like them! Its called judging, and everyone does it lol!
    I also love heavy metal and tattoos! This means that poodle owners must listen to justin bieber then right?
    They don't!?!

Just kidding. Just kidding.
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    And a lot of Tarantulas

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    If I had to guess, he probably picked corn because you have a little boy. Whenever I'm at the pet store, the little boys always seem to stop and look at the corns. I dunno. Just a guess.

People are strange. I always get odd looks when I mention my snakes. I've heard the "you don't look like someone who would have snakes" comment before too. I feel like I look just like someone who would have snakes. Especially with a BCI on my shoulders.

I just had a surprise inspection from the Association this morning that my landlord knew about but conveniently forgot to inform us...and the 6 big guys in my house thought my cat, hamsters and gecko in the living room to be perfectly acceptable, but were totally taken aback when they opened the snake room door. When I explained that I was an Integrative Animal Biology major, it made more sense to them, but until then they seem confused that a 21 year old girl would have four snakes chillin in her apartment. One of the guys wouldn't even go in the room! It was a smidge pathetic, because all my scale kids are little...haha. I respect those that feel uncomfortable around them though. He never would have been subjected to it if he hadn't come in to inspect. An insurance inspection they said...I hope the reptiles don't effect anything. As I said, people can be very strange about the snakes. :/

- Nakita

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When the world figures out that the majority of snake keepers don't look like this

But rather look like this

The world will be a better place.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AmandaJ (01-18-2013),C&H Exotic Morphs (05-21-2012),Cendalla (05-02-2012),DooLittle (05-02-2012),dr del (05-03-2012),JulieInNJ (05-02-2012),sleepygeckos (05-03-2012),Slim (05-02-2012),Valentine Pirate (05-02-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (05-02-2012),Wicked Constrictors (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    But rather look like this

The world will be a better place.
    We could flood the net with great pictures like this but people still seem to interpret it the way they want. I see a great kid who is learning the joy of animals. Someone else will see your child in danger from a constrictor. People are just dumb animals more often than not!
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks
    Same here. I don't "look" like a snake owner. But then again, I don't look like I have tattoos and piercings either.
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieInNJ For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Well I'm all over the place lol. I'm a 29 yr old mom of a 2 yr old boy, a 10 month old girl, I have brown, pink, purple, and blue hair, tattoos and piercings.... But I own a poodle and like country music, and groom foofy dogs for a living. And I'm hoping to breed bps, I love them!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by moonlightgdess; 05-02-2012 at 12:35 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moonlightgdess For This Useful Post:

AmandaJ (01-18-2013),Cendalla (05-02-2012)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast