Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Calcium Supplement?

This year was my 1st breeding and my female was on the smaller side. She gave me 7 eggs (which surprised me) but they all had varying degrees of "pock marks."

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...arked-on-Day-2

As stated in the previous thread, a cursory search of the web leads me to believe this has to do with some sort of calcium deficiency. The eggs are on day 36 today and despite some problems with humidity, still candle with good veins.

My female is eating like a champ (she's always been an excellent eater) and is putting weight back on good. She'll be considerably larger for next season.

Since she gave me "calcium deficient" eggs, do you think I should supplement her diet with a calcium supplement? Or do you think that since she'll be larger this go round (not planning on pairing her till Nov), the situation will rectify itself? And if you do think I should give her the supplement, do you have any suggestions as to where I can get one? I assume I can't just give her one of the calcium with d3 pills that I take everyday.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to share pipping and hatching pictures with you in a few weeks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    If shes pounding rats weekly i dont think a supplement is needed. What kinda eater was she before she got prego?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Calcium Supplement?

The spots are totally normal and doesn't mean calcium deficient. Eggs vary from female to female, year to year, clutch to clutch. Don't judge a book by its cover, I am more concerned about whats inside then about the package it came in. Get the idea of perfect chicken eggs out of your head, that's what most folks expect to see and not the reality with reptiles. Ball pythons eggs can look downright nasty and still hatch fine. IMO if its not a slug, its a good egg
    Last edited by West Coast Jungle; 05-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-02-2012),KatStoverReptiles (05-01-2012),rabernet (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    If shes pounding rats weekly i dont think a supplement is needed. What kinda eater was she before she got prego?
    She was a strong eater before she fell gravid. Only missed when she was in deep blue. Same thing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I have a a het pied that gives me a boob egg ( again this year actually 2 ) but i not found out any reason for it, since she eats rats like a kid would candy. Now i have found that ifi feed my rats a mixure of the mazuri and dog food they do better, but i do raise my own rats. ( I never planned on having more than a few snakes not the 16 + I got now lol) so the rat breeding has become more of a deal than before lol( gone from a single tank to having 4 tanks and a asf and mouse tank as well)
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    The spots are totally normal and doesn't mean calcium deficient. Eggs vary from female to female, year to year, clutch to clutch. Don't judge a book by its cover, I am more concerned about whats inside then about the package it came in. Get the idea of perfect chicken eggs out of your head, that's what most folks expect to see and not the reality with reptiles. Ball pythons eggs can look downright nasty and still hatch fine. IMO if its not a slug, its a good egg
    This exactly..^^^

One of my females gave me a spotted clutch last year but the years prior and this year they are perfect. I don't believe it has anything to do with a deficiency. All 8 of the spotted/pocked eggs hatched big healthy babies last year.

<---Signature--->
    Snakes, Jeeps, Dragons, Nature, & Knives.. Makes my world go-round!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

KatStoverReptiles (05-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks for your responses guys. Guess I'm being a over-protective momma

I'll just stay the course

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    This is what you're talking about right?

Well, you have nothing to worry about!

<---Signature--->
    Snakes, Jeeps, Dragons, Nature, & Knives.. Makes my world go-round!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (05-02-2012)