Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

2 members and 3,311 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Bloods are so awsome, but I'd much rather have a nice arboreal.... Or a macklott's

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    the thing I like about the bloods the most is their head structure they look so.............mean!
    I love em
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Banned
    Thanks
    Movied this to the blood forum

Thanks
    I have personal/hands on experience, would you like my input?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BallKingdom
    Movied this to the blood forum
    Wasn't this already in the blood forum? :? Where was it?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh, and Danny, sure any input would be great. Have you worked with all types of bloods, (blacks, malaysian, sumatran, borneo, etc) or just a specific kind? I need all the help I can get, it would be really appreciated. You can also PM me or email me if you would like to discuss it further.

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emroul
    Oh, and Danny, sure any input would be great. Have you worked with all types of bloods, (blacks, malaysian, sumatran, borneo, etc) or just a specific kind? I need all the help I can get, it would be really appreciated. You can also PM me or email me if you would like to discuss it further.

Thanks,
    Jennifer
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Malaysian/Sumatran are the same snake and "blacks" as you put it are Borneos. I've worked with both species for several years, what specific questions would like answered?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, I have always figured they are the same snake; just different localities (like BCI's and BCC's).

Anything you want to tell me about their requirements (i.e temps, humidity, etc. How the differences are between temperments [between the two different subspecies], etc.) Just any tips you feel like throwing out there. I've read alot on them, and I know that CBB is better than anything (like ball pythons) because they won't tend to be as nippy, even though there are exceptions; they will be more willing to feed than WC, etc. Just anything you feel like telling me, go for it.

Jennifer

Thanks
    All snakes have their own indivual personalities regardless of species, which you might of heard many times before. To my own personal experience, both species are nippy as babies, they both settle down with frequent interaction. Borneos are just much faster in calming down than Sumatrans in general. I'm gonna assume that you know the basics since you said that you've done alot of reading. My greatest challenge in caring for this kind of snakes at first, was keeping the humidity levels up. What I ended up doing was soaking the substrate(newspaper), wich I had to change daily to avoid bacteria growing. Also, I provided a larger than usual water bowl/dish, I also covered 1/3 of the screen top with syran wrap and in hot days I also sprayed the tank to keep the humidity levels up. You live in Arizona which gets hotter than California in the summer, so you'll have to mess around with the humidity/ temperature levels just to get it right. If your really interested in this type of snake, I have "friends" that breed this kind of snake and I get them for dirt cheap prices. I my self am getting one in the next 10 days or so when I move to my new house. If you want I'll post pics of the blood then and if you want I'll hook you up with one for a good price.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Wow, that's cool that you have "friends in the business". Thanks for the offer, I'll definately keep you in mind. As for keeping the humidity up, I was thinking that I would probably just use cypress mulch after the first few weeks of quarantine. That stuff works wonders. But yeah, I figured borneo's are better "first bloods" since they don't grow as large; I've heard this from a few sources. But I really like red sumatrans, borneo's are alittle to brown, lol. But they are still awesome looking. Do you have or have you had any adult bloods, and would you have any pictures of them? I know they get HUGE girth-wise (that's an understatement, lol). Like they are as big around as a burmese python, or something of the like, packed into a 5-6 foot length. That's just incredible.

Well, anyway, thanks for the info; and if you have any pics that would be great.
    Jennifer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast