Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,079

2 members and 3,077 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Aspen bedding or newspaper.

I know newspaper is easy to clean and it is inexpensive but I have a huge bag of Aspen just sitting here. I use it for my rats. I know I can do it and i dont mind cleaning, But does anyone have any stories or any thoughts on why they wouldn't choose Aspen? Thanks !!!

-Mark

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oqj34h

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrl249 For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (04-30-2012)

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    I love aspen but I dont use them on my boa cages just because they are to big. They work great for tubs though because they are easy to turn over and empty them.

Thanks
    I had to use aspen as the other wood substrate I get was out. I felt kinda bad about it, but if anyone can provide input that would help. I hope it's ok.

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    You just dont want to use cedar.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I use both paper and aspen. I would choose paper any day, but my Dumeril's boa needs to burrow. Aspen is nice for a week or two, then it starts to get nasty (even with spot cleaning) it works fine of you are using an overhead heat source like a heat lamp, CHE, or RHP. But if you are using a UTH it really can become a pain since it doesn't transfer heat very well.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have used aspen and cypress up until recently when i ordered unprinted news paper(2 weeks ago), and i will never go back. they all have there plus sides and downsides. i would say just use the aspen up since you have it. It most likely will not cause any problems unless your bp eats a huge mouthful of it. I love the look of aspen and cypress but to me the look vs the price/easiness to clean is not worth it. i still use aspens for my corn(loves to burrow) and my carpet get cypress because she's in a big display cage.
    use it up and then after its gone decide do you want to order more or try something different, its all up to you.
    Tom
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Re: Aspen bedding or newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Lamb Exotics View Post
    You just dont want to use cedar.
    Or pine. The oils can irritate the skin or even be toxic. But aspen and cypress are totally safe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I use both paper and aspen. I would choose paper any day, but my Dumeril's boa needs to burrow. Aspen is nice for a week or two, then it starts to get nasty (even with spot cleaning) it works fine of you are using an overhead heat source like a heat lamp, CHE, or RHP. But if you are using a UTH it really can become a pain since it doesn't transfer heat very well.
    I so agree! I use disposable cage liners in my tubs and I'll never go back. Like Aaron, I'd only use aspen now if I had a snake that needed to burrow. I use shredded tree fern as a substrate for my GTP's natural viv, but it's a pain to clean. It's worth it for one center piece of beauty, but I'll stick to the cage liners for everyone else, lol....

But as far as aspen or cypress, both are safe and perfectly fine to use!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    My last bag of aspen from Pet*** came with "bonuses".

First were the mites which, although they didn't bother the snakes, made the lives of my mice and rats miserable.

Second was the weird reaction to moisture.

If it got wet at all, it turned blue and then overnight, grew some kind of weird, cotton-like fungus up the sides of the tubs.

I am sticking straight with newspaper now and my Dumerils is happily burrowing around in the special shredded newspaper I made for her with a common desktop paper shredder I had laying around.

Just fold the newspaper and run it through.

I don't know what those mites were but they bite people too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    My last bag of aspen from Pet*** came with "bonuses".

First were the mites which, although they didn't bother the snakes, made the lives of my mice and rats miserable.

Second was the weird reaction to moisture.

If it got wet at all, it turned blue and then overnight, grew some kind of weird, cotton-like fungus up the sides of the tubs.

I am sticking straight with newspaper now and my Dumerils is happily burrowing around in the special shredded newspaper I made for her with a common desktop paper shredder I had laying around.

Just fold the newspaper and run it through.

I don't know what those mites were but they bite people too.

Eugh. You should have told the store and then also contacted the manufacturer if possible. Because that is not good.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inarikins View Post
    Eugh. You should have told the store and then also contacted the manufacturer if possible. Because that is not good.
    I will if I ever go back there again.....

Of course, you know they're going to try and lay the blame on me, somehow.

FWIW, the store has had an albino rat running loose that they can't seem to catch for about a year.

It tears open bags of food, shavings and everything else it can reach.

There's no telling what the level of cross-contamination is, after all this time.

My bag was sealed but mites can wiggle through any tiny crack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast