Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,454

0 members and 2,454 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Has desert female breeding got anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,
    Just thought I'd point out there are several morph genes already known can can result in the animal dying - infertile is far from impossible.
    dr del
    Yup, what he said.

I've heard a number of reports of female deserts actually dying while gravid. Not something I'm really anxious to experience first hand.

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinx667 View Post
    Adding genes does not appear to help.
    This to me is one of the worst indicators of failure in them. Hope I'm wrong, I like some of you will still give it a try eventually.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    This to me is one of the worst indicators of failure in them.
    Why would that make any difference...and I'm truly curious to your thoughts, not being combative. Spiders still wobble when combined with other mutations. The thought process behind mutations essentially being "fixed" by entirely separate mutations is baffling to me...but then again, I don't claim to be well versed in genetic mutations or how they work.

Registered User Lair of Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would that make any difference...and I'm truly curious to your thoughts, not being combative. Spiders still wobble when combined with other mutations. The thought process behind mutations essentially being "fixed" by entirely separate mutations is baffling to me...but then again, I don't claim to be well versed in genetic mutations or how they work.
    You are correct...you can not fix a morph just because you mix that morph...I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...
    For example...Spider and Sable proven to be fatal...if you were to combine an extreme morph....lets say a Spider Pin Lesser Ghost Pastel to a Sable Mojave Yellow Belly Orange Dream and in that clutch any baby that had the Spider Sable gene in the same baby it would not make it....when those two morphs cross the same path results will be the same no matter how many other morphs are present.
    So you can't solve the problem of Desert females throwing infertile eggs just because its crossed into other genes....that gene still plays a roll....
    Anyone can correct me if I am wrong...I know I have been wrong before....
    Travis
    Lair of Dragons
    To many Ball Python morphs to list but don't own enough......YET!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

There have been some odd anomalies reported at NERD - like a living sable spider and a surviving pearl.

I haven't heard anthing more about them though so I don't know what the long term result was.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

MarkS (05-04-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

There have been some odd anomalies reported at NERD - like a living sable spider and a surviving pearl.

I haven't heard anthing more about them though so I don't know what the long term result was.
    At least with the Pearl, isn't that thing so neuro that maybe it should not be alive?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

Slim (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    as soon as the price of female deserts reflects the lack of 'investment' capability I will probably buy one.
    iHerp profile
    Check out my reptiles on the iherp link above or FB below
    Rhacosaurus Gex

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    as soon as the price of female deserts reflects the lack of 'investment' capability I will probably buy one.
    I agree. I would buy one for $200 or so as a pet. Maybe a bit more if it has another gene and looks really cool.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    I don't think being able to produce an exception means something is ok.

For example, mules are sterile. Just because you have an anomalous mule that is not sterile doesn't change the fact that sterility is the norm in mules. (Yes, this has happened).

If one person has a desert female that isn't sterile, but the rest all are, that doesn't mean desert females aren't sterile, it just means that person has an anomalous animal.

Look at the evidence: Most of the reports of desert female breeding result in a clutch of slugs, and all TOO often, a female dead of egg binding. The egg binding would indicate that there is something physically amiss with the animal's reproductive system that has nothing to do with temperature or hormones.

Caramel females: Something is obviously wrong with their reproductive system. They have very low fertility. They will lay fertile eggs--every once in a blue moon, they may even lay a clutch that's mostly fertile--but the norm is for them to lay a lot of slugs, and maybe just a few fertile eggs along with them.

I don't understand why people are struggling so hard against the inevitable conclusion. The idea that desert ball pythons become egg bound because they're too warm is relatively mystical thinking--there's no conceivable reason why higher temperatures would cause egg binding, particularly when they cause no other symptoms of overheating in the animal.

I don't see how it could possibly be so, from a physiological perspective. Physical abnormality of the reproductive system due to mutation makes sense--how does 'keep them cooler and they'll lay good eggs' actually make sense? Upon what is it based? What physiological process COULD cause such a thing?
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (06-20-2012),Royal Hijinx (04-29-2012),Slim (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I don't see how it could possibly be so, from a physiological perspective. Physical abnormality of the reproductive system due to mutation makes sense--how does 'keep them cooler and they'll lay good eggs' actually make sense? Upon what is it based? What physiological process COULD cause such a thing?
    The keep them cool thing came from the theory they weren't properly thermoregulating the eggs inside of them and cooking them causing the slugs. I haven't herd of egg binding being normal.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast