Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

1 members and 2,993 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Re: Has desert female breeding got anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Lair of Dragons View Post
    Bob Clark though the same thing with his Leusistic Burmese and she never did reproduce...he chalked it up to the Morph must make it infertile....yet now they produce them....
    Same thing was said about Caramel BPs...like I stated to many large breeders are working with them and soon info will be posted on the secret to breeding them. I would be willing to say its a temp thing.
    Travis
    Lair of Dragons

The notoriety around caramels wasn't about their infertility. Rather that they lay a lot of slugs and for some reason, they sometimes hatch with kinks.

Remember, we're dealing with speculation. Nobody is right or wrong. I agree with Driver. It would be unwise to keep it a secret. There's already many desert designer morphs.... Proving that females can breed would just make the price go back up, and hopefully we can see more combos...

Also... If they require some special temps to get them to breed, then that's an anomaly of its own! That would make it what you call a "wonder of the world" lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Registered User Lair of Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Exactly...buy while low....produce multiple clutches....release the info....make a heafty return on investment....not everyone does this as a hobbly like you and I...there is a huge business aspect to it....I will agree with you on the temp thing...heat can and will produce slugs....if you doubt me...keep Hognose at same temps as Ball Pythons and see how many fertile eggs you get...I did it this year with a female on her first clutch....got 12 eggs and only two fertile....I put her back into a colubrid enviroment as soon as she laid the first clutch and got 18 eggs second clutch 2 where infertile....
    Travis
    Lair of Dragons
    To many Ball Python morphs to list but don't own enough......YET!

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    At this point, I find that speculating that a Desert female can be fertile without PROOF is merely a desperate plea to keep prices up on what for many may be, or have been, a bad investment. I am sure that some folks have made some money off the gene, but prices are now rapidly and appropriately falling. Rumors will only serve to artificially keep prices afloat.

I hope someone does figure out something that is not more trouble than it is worth, but currently there is ZERO proof of a fertile Desert female.

I would pay a couple of hundred for a female as a interesting pet, and that is about it.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

bad-one (04-28-2012),C&H Exotic Morphs (04-27-2012),rabernet (04-27-2012),Slim (04-27-2012),zeion97 (04-28-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jinx667 View Post
    I would pay a couple of hundred for a female as a interesting pet, and that is about it.
    Same here, just not interested in all the drama at this point. There's no proof either way, until there is I'll wait till the prices drop. I really like how they look! Just not worth the price for the trouble and speculation

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentine Pirate For This Useful Post:

Slim (04-27-2012)

Thanks
    Deserts make some incredible morphs! Some of the best combinations i have ever seen its sad that it has come down to this. But they would make an incredible pet i would love to get my hands on a desert pin even better a desert blast.
    Lizards
    1.0 Ornate Uromastyx "Reptar"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

A lot of your "OLD SCHOOL" breeders still do a lot in secret and not willing to share because of what it does to the market price.
    And a few of those OLD SCHOOL guys you are referring to, are bailing out of this project, at least on the female side, and are redoubling their efforts to produce multi-gene morphs with the males. That should tell you something...

I would be willing to bet someone has done it....just not going to publish it yet...
    ...buy while low....produce multiple clutches....release the info....make a heafty return on investment....
    This logic only floats if you are the only breeder to successfully get female Deserts to produce. Otherwise, you run the risk of the train leaving the station when someone else does it and beats you to the announcement. At that point, you aren't the first, even if you really were.

No, if you hit on fertile Desert females, you are going to put that word on the street. Especially in light of all the speculation and anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    There has been a person that has came forward and said that they were able to successfully breed a female desert. He just doesn't have any pictures.
    I have a Unicorn on a secret horse farm down in Ocala, FL....I just don't have any pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jinx667 View Post
    At this point, I find that speculating that a Desert female can be fertile without PROOF is merely a desperate plea to keep prices up on what for many may be, or have been, a bad investment....I would pay a couple of hundred for a female as a interesting pet, and that is about it.
    This!!!

Don't get me wrong, I want the Desert females to produce, because a Desert Pin male is way at the top of my wish list. As long as only Desert males are viable, that animal will remain out of my reach from a financial stand point.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (04-28-2012)

Registered User Lair of Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Slim,
    So tell me this...has there ever been a female reptile that is proven to be infertile...if so I have never heard of it. Maybe I missed it......
    Travis
    Lair of Dragons
    To many Ball Python morphs to list but don't own enough......YET!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be willing to bet someone has done it....just not going to publish it yet...there are too many breeders in th U.S. that have them in their collection, but not every breeder will share info on the internet.....as soon as some shows a pic of them on eggs you will see them pop up from every direction...
    A lot of your "OLD SCHOOL" breeders still do a lot in secret and not willing to share because of what it does to the market price. There has never ever been a female anything that cant reproduce so is the "Desert female" one of the wonders of the world....nope...just needs to be treated a little different than the normal Ball Python.
    I just picked up a 650g female yestrday and looking for more at the right price because I know proof is coming soon and the information needed to have them reproduce.
    Travis
    Lair of Dragons
    And I know a lot of breeders, big ones as well, dumping their desert females.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Slim,
    So tell me this...has there ever been a female reptile that is proven to be infertile...if so I have never heard of it. Maybe I missed it......
    Travis
    Lair of Dragons
    I'm not really sure what to make of your question. There are many individual females of every animal species on this planet that are infertile. Unless there's environmental factors involved, infertility is often caused by a mutation. Most environmental factors that cause infertility due so by way of mutation too but that's irrelevant to Deserts.

The desert morph is also caused by a mutation. It is not inconceivable to suggest that color and infertility are linked by the same mutation. This would result in infertile female Deserts. Several examples of similar mutation linkage were given above.

The question isn't whether infertile female animals exist but whether the reproduction difficulties are husbandry based or are an innate infertility caused by mutation. One is surmountable, one is not, either is possible.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky Dragons; 04-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

Don (05-16-2012),Slim (04-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Dragons View Post
    I'm not really sure what to make of your question. There are many individual females of every animal species on this planet that are infertile. Unless there's environmental factors involved, infertility is often caused by a mutation. Most environmental factors that cause infertility due so by way of mutation too but that's irrelevant to Deserts.

The desert morph is also caused by a mutation. It is not inconceivable to suggest that color and infertility are linked by the same mutation. This would result in infertile female Deserts. Several examples of similar mutation linkage were given above.

The question isn't whether infertile female animals exist but whether the reproduction difficulties are husbandry based or are an innate infertility caused by mutation. One is surmountable, one is not, either is possible.
    All of this.... There are stranger things in nature than the infertility of a specific gender in rare occasions lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast