Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,235

1 members and 3,234 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

It really does only take once >_<

Back in January I did something really stupid. I paired my 2010 lemon pastel with my spotnose. She was about 1100g then and they did lock. I was planning on trying to get her up to 1500g as soon as possible, but that didn't really happen. She's at 1270g now and it looks like she's building. I'm seeing the same swell I saw when my 2500g+ female built and then ovulated. She hasn't eaten in about a month.

Is there a good chance she will slug out? As exciting as it would be to get a pastel spotnose from her, I'm worried because she's so small. I don't want her to get egg bound. I only paired her once because I had second thoughts about breeding her this soon.

It figures that my pastel I only breed once is showing signs of ovulating, but the normal I've been pairing since October isn't.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Re: It really does only take once >_<

I've bred a couple small girls without issue, but they were over 3 years old. The only one I've bred at a younger age is my cinny who is 21 months old and a freakish 2,000ish grams, and she's about 40 days from laying.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-26-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    Back in January I did something really stupid. I paired my 2010 lemon pastel with my spotnose. She was about 1100g then and they did lock. I was planning on trying to get her up to 1500g as soon as possible, but that didn't really happen. She's at 1270g now and it looks like she's building. I'm seeing the same swell I saw when my 2500g+ female built and then ovulated. She hasn't eaten in about a month.

Is there a good chance she will slug out? As exciting as it would be to get a pastel spotnose from her, I'm worried because she's so small. I don't want her to get egg bound. I only paired her once because I had second thoughts about breeding her this soon.

It figures that my pastel I only breed once is showing signs of ovulating, but the normal I've been pairing since October isn't.
    There are a lot of threads on here about people breeding smaller appropriately aged females. I believe recently someone had a female lay some good eggs and only weighed 645g after laying. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Just keep an eye on her. If she is having trouble passing the first egg you may need to intervene, but my money says you probably wont have an issue. Good luck with your clutches and may the odds gods smile upon you...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Zombie; 04-26-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    How old is she. 1500grams is a general guideline but i think age can play just as important of a factor into whether or not theyre sexually mature.
    With humans not all girls mature at the same age. (i know i know, theyre obviously not the same but im just making the point.)
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-26-2012)

Thanks

I wouldn't worry - if she was out in the wild I'm sure she would have been bred as well. If they are ready, they breed.

Good luck - that is a nice combo!!
    Winding Bend Reptiles

I'm on Facebook!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenH For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Thanks everyone. This is my first breeding season, and I got a little freaked out when I was cleaning cages and realized she was most definitely building. I thought she was glowing, but I was trying to convince myself I was imaging things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    How old is she. 1500grams is a general guideline but i think age can play just as important of a factor into whether or not theyre sexually mature.
    With humans not all girls mature at the same age. (i know i know, theyre obviously not the same but im just making the point.)
    I don't know exactly how old she is. I got her in June of 2011 and she was already ~400g and she was sold to me as a 2010.

She really wanted to be breed this season. She was tail wagging whenever another snake was put any where near her (even if they were female).

She's not skinny by any means, but she just seems so tiny compared to the females I was actively pairing all winter.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry too much. I know quite a few people that breed balls at 1200 (sometimes less) and they have never reported issues.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas@Balls2TheWall For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-27-2012)

Thanks
    She should be fine. Animals come in gravid from Africa at 900+ grams all the time and lay fine. Just watch her & make sure no signs of egg binding (doubt it would or will happen but can) if your worried.
    "Every Job is a portrait of one's self worth; Paint each Job with excellence!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to trivtrivsocal For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-27-2012)

Thanks
    A Ball Python won't lock up if it isn't ready so seeing as she locked up she should be fine. 1500 is a guide line as some one stated above but Ball pythons have been successfully bread with no problems from 1000 grams and up. The only real down side is a smaller female will most likely produce less eggs.

Pages: http://www.facebook.com/ZBPythons, http://www.youtube.com/user/ZAPython?feature=mhee

Ball Python(s)
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    0.1 Lemon Blast
    0.1 Lesser

Crested Gecko(s)
    0.0.2 Pinstripe (I think)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ZBP For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-28-2012)

Thanks

its more about weight to length ratio. with age its if the are sexually mature or not. the question is if she has enough weight to support her eggs. 1200 grams is fine as long as she not too long for her weight. you can still feed her if she will eat. don't pound her with large feeding at one time. smaller feedings more often is what you want to do. she can still gain a good bit of weight before shes ready to lay, depending where she's at in the breeding cycle. I had many females breed at 18 months around 1500 grams and had 7 to 8 good eggs no slugs. and they went on breeding the next year and did well also. 1200 grams expect less eggs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to don15681 For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-28-2012)