Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

3 members and 3,319 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Candling sulcata eggs

Hello everyone... I have been searching around for some info on this subject and have so far come up short. I was curious if any of you have any experience with breeding sulcata torts, and if so, what the terms and conditions of monitoring the eggs are.....

Our sulcata layed eggs on April 11th, 12 of them (11 made it to the incubator, she smushed one in her exhausted state) and they all have very nice form and size.. I know all the temps are maintaining perfect, and so far everything looks great!

My question is mainly........... When can I expect to start seeing veins, etc when candling them? I just want to keep track of them and make sure they are progressing according to plan, but have yet to find anyone with that specific information. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    IM no Tort expert but you should be able to see veins day their laid, and even more so as they progress during incubation.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know their incubation time is MUCH longer than with bp, and the shells have a different texture (hard like chicken eggs, not leathery), so I wasn't sure if there would be a difference in timeframe with seeing anything..

The eggs do not have any sort of dark spots or signs of being bad, but I do not see veins at this point..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    The shells being harder and thicker, yould need a powerful led light to candle though it.

Incubation on Tort eggs are long and just need to set it and forget it for like 4 months

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have using an LED to check on em. So far, the inside appears to be a normal egg white color (not yellow, all solid, the same consistent color)..

I'm not being impatient about it, I know it clearly takes FOREVER! ;-) I was just looking for any sort of insight from anyone who has bred them or has any info on about when I should see changes in the eggs so I can keep track.. I'm pretty sure the set it and forget it idea won't happen, I'm just way too nosy for that unfortunately..