Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

4 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"bump" on bp's nose

I know that there was a thread about the "Rhino ball" http://heathersherpsblog.blogspot.co...hino-ball.html that seems similar to what may be going on with my male pastel, but I wanted to get opinions. I have a male 2010 pastel, about 600g, who I noticed a few weeks ago has a small lump on his nose. It is a raised spot right above his nostrils, right in the middle where those larger scales are. It is not red or discolored at all, it just looks like the scales are raised, like a pimple or something. Could he be roaming his tub at night rubbing it or something? Is there anything else it could be? He also hasn't eaten in a few weeks, and this is the first time he has been off food. I know if he isn't losing weight I shouldnt worry about that, but it has me worried coupled with this nose thing. He just shed perfectly, no other abnormal behaviors. I'm afraid he's ready for the ladies. But I want to make sure it isn't anything bad. I posted a while back because I thought he had an RI, but must have just been something in his nose, cause the whistle stopped the next day. He's my first bp and my baby. I know that pictures will help tons, but the ones I have stink. I will try to attach them tonight, but I can't get them from my phone to photobucket so I will have to try something else.
    God Bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    _____
    1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Piebald, 1.0 Pastel Butter Spotnose
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.2 Western Hognose (normal and purple line albino)

Thanks
    If you have a smartphone of some sort, you can download a free photobucket app. You have to have an account but you can then post pictures from your phone without worry.

I have no idea what it could be, but pics might help the more experienced keepers understand what's going on and how to help you out.

Also, I couldn't click your link.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks
    I have the photobucket app but it's been taking forever to upload. Here is one pic
    _____
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa

Thanks
    Here is another close up pic. You can't really see, but the bump is right where his stripes on his face meet at his nose tip just above his nostrils.

He didn't want to be still, pictures were difficult.
    _____
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to see the bump in the picture so I can't say for sure. Has he been bit recently? Does his mouth look ok? I would check for puss/infection in his mouth just in case.

Thanks
    He only eats f/t. It hasn't gotten any bigger that I can tell. He ate a rat last night, so I will give him a couple days then try to open his moth and see if I can see anything. His mouth seems to be fine. Maybe he got poked by a piece of cypress while eating?
    _____
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa

Thanks
    So I tried to open his mouth tonight. It's like wrestling a bear. I grabbed his head like more than a dozen times but he would twist and squirm and I felt like I was going to break his neck so I let go. I was able to open his mouth a tiny bit with a q tip but couldn't keep it open long enough to see the roof of his mouth. I saw a white spot on the roof of his mouth, but it could have just been the top of his mouth, I don't know. The bump has not gotten any bigger or smaller, and it's hard to the touch. Any suggestions? It doesn't seem to bother his eating etc. But I'm still worried
    _____
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa

Thanks

Re: "bump" on bp's nose

Could be an abscess...

Thanks

Using a tongue depressor works best for me. Put it on the tip of their mouth and push slightly. Your ball's mouth will open right up. My female Mojave Has a similar bump. All of the sudden it just showed up. She is fine. No signs of infection. No loss of apatite. Just a strange bump on her nose. I honestly think it bothers me more than it bothers her. Stuff like this can also happen if your ball is super active and rubbing its nose against the inclosure. Its gotten much smaller and with time I think it will go away.

another one from the side

from the top

Thanks

forgot to add "when in doubt, go to the vet!" its always better to be safe than sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast