Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,061

1 members and 3,060 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

More tank questions..

I promise this is the last thread I'll post for the night.

I've settled on the idea that I need to get rid of my lamps in order to solve my humidity issues. I'm switching to a UTH and have settled on a Hydrofarm thermostat that was recommended to me by another user from this site. Should have both in place by the weekend. Any tips or steps on how to set the two up tho? I don't have any space underneath my tank, but I'm trying to resolve that as well. I realize this might all seem like a silly thing to ask, but I want to make sure I get it right and set up correctly. I've read some other posts about UTH/thermostats, but so far haven't found any step-by-step directions. Again, just want to make sure I get it all right.

I'm also going to switch out my substrate this weekend when I clean out Max's tank. I'm using Aspen right now, but have gathered from various posts on this site that it doesn't do well at holding humidity. Any recommendations? Should I mix a couple different ones together?

Thanks again for all the tips. This group has really been so friendly and helpful, and it's been nice to have since I'm a new owner.

Thanks
    This is the UTH I'm getting, btw. Good? Bad? Suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti-...4802763&sr=1-4

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

Re: More tank questions..

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Awesome, thank you. Do I attach the thermostat to the pad or inside the tank above the middle of it? Sorry if it's a silly question.

Thanks
    ^what slim said! The self stick kind seem to be prone to failure no matter what kind they are. The style in his link above are sold with several brand names. Cobra mat and flukers are a couple of others I have seen that are nearly identical. They all seem to be good!
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

Thanks
    The "thermostat"plugs into the wall, the heat pad plugs into the thermostat, the thermostat has a probe you will attach to the bottom of the tank above the heat pad. The heat pad will be attached to the bottom of the tank from the outside. The thermostat does not go in the tank. The thermostat will turn the pad on and off to keep the temperature.
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tfpets View Post
    The "thermostat"plugs into the wall, the heat pad plugs into the thermostat, the thermostat has a probe you will attach to the bottom of the tank above the heat pad. The heat pad will be attached to the bottom of the tank from the outside. The thermostat does not go in the tank. The thermostat will turn the pad on and off to keep the temperature.
    Thank you. Sorry for asking what's probably a simple question. I just got some bad tips to start with so I'm trying to get it all corrected now. This site has definitely helped. Thanks again.

Thanks
    OK, quick tutorial. Criticism to a minimum, all of these parts are from the junk laying around the house!
    1. Attach the pad to the bottom of the tank with foil tape. Keep it on the clear outer edge.

2. I like to put the foil/bubblewrap insulation under heat pads to keep the heat reflected up and the heat on the stand to a minimum.

3. Attach the probe from the thermostat onto the bottom of the tank on the inside. Warning: This thermostat was destroyed because I got the bright idea to use hot glue to attach the probe to the bottom. It apparently overheated and it won't work anymore.

4. Plug the pad into the receptacle on the thermostat.

5. Plug the thermostat into the wall.

6. Set the temperature and check the temp of the pad/substrate regularly, preferably with an infrared temp gun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tfpets For This Useful Post:

emmm1984 (04-18-2012)

Thanks
    This is the face of the hydrofarm unit. Same idea, but with digital readout and buttons. The readout actually shows the current temp of the probe!

Thanks

Oh, nice! Thanks so much. This really helps.