Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

2 members and 3,311 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOT Happy!

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    The sender just has to mark for it to be held at the hub for pickup. It has to be done on the sender's end of the transaction.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: NOT Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    But doesnt he need to get my signature since it says "live harmless reptile" on like every side of the box??? The snake was fine, a little frazzled from her journey but still a nice big, friendly girl! Im seriously considering putting a call or email into fedex, but before i do someone please tell me if what i experienced was normal...

It seems counter intuitive but it was a bad idea for the shipper to cover the box in Live Animals or Live Reptiles. All that is required for Lacy Act is to write "Live Harmless Wildlife" normal size with a regular pen somewhere near the label. This is also what SYR recommends.

Many Fed Ex workers do not like reptiles. They often do not treat regular packages well as it is but I've read many stories about the workers drop kicking and shaking packages marked live reptiles. It isn't inconceivable your delivery person didn't alert you on purpose.

I honestly didnt know that wa an option! How would i do this, for future reference?
    The hub is 45minutes away but i would definetly be willing to make that short trip!
    I agree, picking up is the best way to go. Just ask the seller to have the package held for pickup at whichever hub is closest to you. They are usually ready for pickup at 9:00am.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I honestly didnt know that wa an option! How would i do this, for future reference?
    The hub is 45minutes away but i would definetly be willing to make that short trip!
    You lookup the Fedex World Service Center (HUB) and have the order sent hold for pickup. The label is addressed as follows:

Hold for P/u
    C/o Your Name
    Fedex World Service Center
    HUB ADDRESS
    HUB ADDRESS

Any knowledgable shipper should know and prefer this option. I've received every shipped snake in my collection this way and I've never had a bad experience thread or story They know me there now and the lady says "Here for more snakes, get these things out of here!" And then we both laugh and I go home without incident. I highly recommend that people take advantage of this. It just eliminates so many potential issues in shipping.

Regards,

B

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simple Man For This Useful Post:

MikeM75 (08-07-2012),Slim (04-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Dragons View Post
    It seems counter intuitive but it was a bad idea for the shipper to cover the box in Live Animals or Live Reptiles. All that is required for Lacy Act is to write "Live Harmless Wildlife" normal size with a regular pen somewhere near the label. This is also what SYR recommends.

Many Fed Ex workers do not like reptiles. They often do not treat regular packages well as it is but I've read many stories about the workers drop kicking and shaking packages marked live reptiles. It isn't inconceivable your delivery person didn't alert you on purpose.

I agree, picking up is the best way to go. Just ask the seller to have the package held for pickup at whichever hub is closest to you. They are usually ready for pickup at 9:00am.
    Good post. Luckily my local HUB lets me grab them at 8:30.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    It actually only says it on one side and the top. I was pissed so exxaggerated slightly.
    Ive talked with the seller. Someone in NY received a snake today too and the sig was require for them, so idk what happened exactly. It was a simple mistake and she was very apologetic and concerned about the snake. So im not really worried too much about it. I'll definetly opt to go pick them Up at the hub next time! I dont trust those delivery men anymore after this!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

SPAMTASTICO!
    Thanks

you are right

nothing else needs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Just so you know. I had a baby pied male shipped to me a year ago. It so happened we got an unexpected cold snap right when he shipped. I was home, on the couch all day waiting.

The FedEx driver dropped the box on my snow covered deck and walked away. No knock, no nothing. If I had been in the kitchen, or gone to the restroom, or anything else so I wasn't 3 feet from my door, I would never have known he arrived and he would have frozen to death.

As it was, he was terribly cold and stiff when I got him out of the box, he made it but still. I went online to check, and I was supposed to sign for him, the driver marked it as hazardous delivery, or some such, and there was no signature. Apparently, they can do that if there is like a barking dog or other obstacle. The driver had no excuse for not getting my signature.

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 04-18-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaraFe View Post
    nothing else needs
    What?

That sucks Gale! They really need to take their jobs more seriously. Like i said, i understand theyre under time restraints, but if ever given the option i wont choose fed ex. Whenever i order stuff off amazon it arrives by UPS. The driver gets out and walks the package to my door. I usually try and go out and meet him in the driveway just because of how friendly they always are. Never have had a complaint about them before, i dont see why fed ex cant hold their drivers to the same standards...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    99% of the time, both FedEx and UPS will not knock or ring the bell when delivering a package to my house. They just leave it on the porch. Sometimes, they'll set it on the porch, ring the bell, and walk away.

When I worked, I would have the package held for pickup. I've had two snakes shipped since then (both on the same day, from opposite sides of the country). That time they did knock and have me sign.

It never fails, though, whether I pickup at the hub or have it delivered, they always hand the package to me upside down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KatStoverReptiles For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (04-19-2012)

Thanks

Every snake that has been shipped to me has been done with signature required. I did have one snake delayed overnight, but the seller and Fedex reps stayed in touch with me to assure me that the package was being cared for properly. Snake arrived a day late, a little tense, but perfect nonetheless. I also must have a very animal friendly driver. the guy seriously handles any incoming snake as if it were a carton of eggs. Picking up at the hub is simply not a realistic option for me, nor do I care to make the 45 minute ride to Newark in the AM when that 45 minutes can easily turn into 2+ hours.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

JulieInNJ (05-07-2012),Mike41793 (04-19-2012)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast