Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

1 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Hypo Red tail?

Thanks

Question Hypo Red tail?

Found this on craigslist and im very interested and he said I can pick it up friday. This guy is going to sell me the snake and quite a few frozen feeders for $90.
    Do i need a special License to own this snake? And is this what it says it is? Here is a link to the craigslist post:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pet/2961931885.html

She looks very pretty and I am pretty excited to get her but wasnt sure on a few things. thanks in advance
    0.1 Hypo RTB -Eve-

Thanks

Re: Hypo Red tail?

Looks hypo to me...you'd need to check on your state and local ordinances about ownership of exotics.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

HerpinCurt (04-17-2012)

Thanks
    She's definitely a hypo. As far as I know there are no laws in Kentucky restricting boas. Make sure you do your research first! Boas can be a handful!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelrachel13 For This Useful Post:

HerpinCurt (04-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Yes, she's a hypo. Nice pattern on her.

Definitely look into your state and local ordinances, but there are no federal restrictions (yet - gulp) governing this species.

One thing about the f/t feeders he's offering you. 40-42 weeks worth is almost a year's worth. There is some debate on how long you should keep f/t rodents. A year should be ok but that's the maximum they should be kept. The question is, how long has he had them??? Look them over carefully before taking them - is there any evidence of freezer burn? Black bellies? Frost in the bag that might indicate a buildup of moisture? If they look good and he's only just gotten them himself, go for it - if not, think twice about the feeders.

Just my thoughts! Congrats on the find!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

HerpinCurt (04-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    Yes, she's a hypo. Nice pattern on her.

Definitely look into your state and local ordinances, but there are no federal restrictions (yet - gulp) governing this species.

One thing about the f/t feeders he's offering you. 40-42 weeks worth is almost a year's worth. There is some debate on how long you should keep f/t rodents. A year should be ok but that's the maximum they should be kept. The question is, how long has he had them??? Look them over carefully before taking them - is there any evidence of freezer burn? Black bellies? Frost in the bag that might indicate a buildup of moisture? If they look good and he's only just gotten them himself, go for it - if not, think twice about the feeders.

Just my thoughts! Congrats on the find!
    Thanks SO much for the f/t info i will def. check them out and make sure everything is good. He has a 28q tub setup he will give to me is this big enough for a short time? I know how big she will get but he says she will be fine in it for awhile. I am going to make a large custom enclosure when she gets bigger just wondering what the best option would be for now.
    0.1 Hypo RTB -Eve-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HerpinCurt View Post
    Thanks SO much for the f/t info i will def. check them out and make sure everything is good. He has a 28q tub setup he will give to me is this big enough for a short time? I know how big she will get but he says she will be fine in it for awhile. I am going to make a large custom enclosure when she gets bigger just wondering what the best option would be for now.
    Yeah, a 28qt should be fine for awhile. My two 2011's are in 27qts and they do great! Should be good for about another year.

And just to have a feel for what would work, a 41qt or CB70 should be ok for a year after that, then the adult enclosure.

BTW, just curious, are you still getting a ball python too or are you sticking with this boa for your first? Just wondered....
    Last edited by Evenstar; 04-18-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

Yeah, a 28qt should be fine for awhile. My two 2011's are in 27qts and they do great! Should be good for about another year.

And just to have a feel for what would work, a 41qt or CB70 should be ok for a year after that, then the adult enclosure.

BTW, just curious, are you still getting a ball python too or are you sticking with this boa for your first? Just wondered....
    Thanks again for the info. I will be getting the boa friday and a female Lemon blast BP on saturday. Just gotta think of names now. Usually takes me forever to find the right name for my pets lol
    0.1 Hypo RTB -Eve-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HerpinCurt View Post
    Thanks again for the info. I will be getting the boa friday and a female Lemon blast BP on saturday. Just gotta think of names now. Usually takes me forever to find the right name for my pets lol
    Awesome! We'll want pics!!

How about Topaz for your lemon blast?? That's a cool morph... Just a thought!
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

Talking Re: Hypo Red tail?

Awesome! We'll want pics!!

How about Topaz for your lemon blast?? That's a cool morph... Just a thought!
    Topaz hmm i ill think about that one. And I will def. have some pics. I might be getting the boa tonight since I got her enclosure set up.
    0.1 Hypo RTB -Eve-