Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Stress level of a boa?

So I know bps are sensetive. How about boas? I have heard they are more outgoing, and actually enjoy being out. That being said, once my guy is out of qt we will be doing a show and tell at my daughters school. We were going to take a few bps and a Leo. However, now I would like to take the boa, so they can see more than one species of snake. They kids will only get to pet one of my bps. The other and the boa would just be to look at and held by me or my husband. I'm thinking he is to young and new to drag along, but what do you guys think? He seems really mellow, and ate for me second day here. Opinions please
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    My two boas' stress levels seem to be consistently at.... 0. Well, not really, but at least that's how they act. They are cool with handling, eating, shedding, cleaning, whatever. They aren't nearly as head shy as my ball python.

When is this show you're doing? It'll probably be fine to take him, but yeah, would recommend him just as a look-don't-touch attraction. He's still little and you're just getting to know him and his temperament.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelrachel13 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (04-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Every snake as You know is going to have their own personality. But I think it's generally perceived that boas react better to being handled for a prolonged period of time then balls.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (04-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Re: Stress level of a boa?

Quote Originally Posted by rebelrachel13 View Post
    My two boas' stress levels seem to be consistently at.... 0. Well, not really, but at least that's how they act. They are cool with handling, eating, shedding, cleaning, whatever. They aren't nearly as head shy as my ball python.

When is this show you're doing? It'll probably be fine to take him, but yeah, would recommend him just as a look-don't-touch attraction. He's still little and you're just getting to know him and his temperament.
    Agreed. All three of mine are super mellow and would do fine if presented in this situation. In fact, I did take Peaches, my female hypo Colombian, on a 2 hour road trip (each way!) this last summer and spent an afternoon at an expo with her (not reptile - it was a different sort of pet expo). She chilled on my shoulder the whole time and was a great ambassador! She ate with gusto, smacking her lips, the next day too....

Boas just don't tend to stress like our BPs do. Of course, there are the exceptions and therefore you do have to learn your boa's individual personality, but boas are very relaxed in general. To be honest, if your BPs can handle this sort of educational program, I think your boa will do great! Since it's a baby, I would agree with the look don't touch, but as far as stressing out goes, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (04-16-2012)

Thanks

Cool! I am so excited about this little guy. Last year the snake show and tell went so good, I can't wait to do it again this year. Last year they all went home and told their parents all about the snakes. I think its great to expose the kids to the snakes, maybe they will grow up with out fear. I think that will be neat and educational for them to see and learn about more than one species. Our daughter is going to hold our adult puppy dog bp and tell about them. Dad and I will have the boa and a morph bp for viewing. Then we are done, we will let them "pet" the python. Hand sanitizer before and after, down the back only, and I will have control of the end with teeth. . Although I trust him completely. I just love this boa, and want to share him!

Thanks

Cool! I am so excited about this little guy. Last year the snake show and tell went so good, I can't wait to do it again this year. Last year they all went home and told their parents all about the snakes. I think its great to expose the kids to the snakes, maybe they will grow up with out fear. I think that will be neat and educational for them to see and learn about more than one species. Our daughter is going to hold our adult puppy dog bp and tell about them. Dad and I will have the boa and a morph bp for viewing. Then we are done, we will let them "pet" the python. Hand sanitizer before and after, down the back only, and I will have control of the end with teeth. . Although I trust him completely. I just love this boa, and want to share him! So I am glad you all think he will be ok. He seems very chill.

Thanks

Dang phone, tried to edit and double posted!!! Sorry

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    You learn to read their stress level. I had mine, who is a hefty 5 1/2 feet now, out at an expo and she was fine amongst the crowd. After about 40 minutes she wanted to keep her head in a "S" curve and seemed a bit nervous despite me covering her head with my hand. That was when she went into the pillow case. This was her her first major outing in such an environment and considering, I'd say she did great.

You just need to learn to read your snakes. They definitely will show signs of having had enough excitement.

Boa's seem to tolerate much more excitement, and the more they are exposed to it, the more relaxed they get.

<---Signature--->
    Snakes, Jeeps, Dragons, Nature, & Knives.. Makes my world go-round!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (04-17-2012)