Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

1 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Hides...

Thanks
    I know this has prolly been gone over again and again

But besides the looks.. is there any advantage over a cave hide from a petstore then usin a box? Right now i have a beard and mustache trimmer box I cut down to fit and cut a access hole in it. Since the last time I put her in the tank she hasn't left the box. So I take it she likes it.

The hide is on the warm side of the tank as my tank isn't big enough for two hides. I've already got a 30 gallon on hold for this friday when I get paid so I can give her a much larger space to play in. And I'll put a second hide on the cooler side which is why I'm askin about the cave vs. box. Whatta u guys think?

-Chris

Thanks
    My boys hide in a cereal box, and a pot pie box. They don't care what it is, as long as they can curl up in it. It's just up to you, if you dont mind seeing boxes in the tank, or if you want the tank to look more natural.
    Franni

1.0 BP, T'gai
    0.1 Bearded Dragon, Kirk
    1.0 Sugar Glider, Sweet Baby James
    0.2 Cats, Lucy & Luna
    1.0 Demon Dog, Max
    0.1 GF, Kim

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I made my latest hide out of scrap 2X4 and shelf wood. As long as it's fairly enclosed, it seems the snakes like it.

I'm told they like it better if it has a low ceiling that they can feel on their backs, so I split the 2X4 in half to make it closer to 2X2. I think it took me all of about 15 minutes to make.

Other ideas for inexpensive and effective hides includes the red clay saucers that are made to go under flowerpots. Carefully knock a hole in one side and voila! a hide. The curved "Spanish Style" roof tiles are supposed to make good hides as well.

If it's one thing Ball Pythons are not, it's pretentious.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I,m with Hoomi. Since bp's aren't pretentious is really up to you if you want a nature look or not. But either way doesn't matter as long as you can keep the temp. and humidity find. That is one of the things that you are going to find more trouble controling it.
    Jesús

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah, my bp's have a plastic cereal bowl cut out for access, easy cleaning, since it's plastic. It's up to you if you have a display tank and want it more natural or not. Like everyone else said.

Banned
    Thanks
    I used a cereal box and they love it 30x's more then some over priced half log. I used to get all my stuff at the pet shop, then I realized the value of junk. A bp cares more about the function then looks, I learned it too.

Thanks

Should I?...........Would you?

Thanks for the input guys. After posting that I looked around the photogallery and saw a couple people used wood to make a hide which got me to thinkin.

Once again Thx for the input.

-Chris

Thanks
    i use a plastic dog dish as a hide and a water bowl i just cut 2 access holes in them. or clay saucers

-Brad