Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

1 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tell your friend if he wants the snake to live, take it to a vet, if your friends doesn't care one way or the other, then try all the at home "remedies" you want. IMO you are well past curing the infection just by raising the temps.

As for the F10 you mentioned, I know there are videos on youtube from breeders that use it. I'm personally not sold on it. No where does it say it cures respiratory infections, it does say it kills viruses like parvo, but nothing about infections. Infections can get into the blood stream, no fogger can cure that. F10 is marketed as a disinfectant to sterilize tubs/rooms/etc. One of the meds commonly prescribed for RIs in snakes is the exact same med humans get for respiratory infections and blood poisoning. I'm wondering if F10 is more of a band-aid than a cure since serious infections need antibiotics. I could be totally wrong, but I will keep using prescribed medications until I get some serious proof that a disinfectant is better for treating RI's than antibiotics.

Thanks
    Just so that tid bit of information about dropping humidity with ris doesn't actually get used .....

Keeping the humidity low will only dry the lungs out causing scarring which will cause EVEN MORE issues. You never want to drop humidity with an Ri. Ever. Low humidity is also a cause of Ris.
    Keep humidity up. That allows the mucus to come up and out and not sit in the lungs.
    Think of it like when you have a really bad cold or bronchitis a hot steamy shower always helps clean that crap out.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com
    Last edited by Homegrownscales; 04-28-2012 at 09:20 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

Inarikins (04-28-2012)

Thanks
    UPDATE: The ball python is cured of her RI and is now eating well and thriving, no thanks to that vet. He was clueless so thanks for recommending a vet everyone! I continued to treat his ball python with the F10 and repti fogger and cured it myself after a week and a half of treating once a day. This might show you all why I just wanted a little help, rather than criticism from a bunch of you. Me being ignorant? Please. Just wanted some advice rather than suggestions, wish you guys and gals on here could've helped me a little more, but whatcha gonna do? Oh well, I will just call a breeder or something next time.
    Last edited by kgronsbell; 04-30-2012 at 10:23 PM.
    Keith Gronsbell
    Armored Exotics
    Nassau County, NY

Thanks
    Good luck with that one. But I have serious doubts from what you were saying on the condition of the animal, it was cured with f10.
    But If you say so.......

Thanks
    I have a hard time believing that the snake recovered on the F10 too. That could work in the early stages of an RI, but given the symptoms of this snake I think it is highly unlikely that it would recover from this treatment. If it did, you are very lucky and I would not rely on that type of luck again. A good herp vet was the correct answer in this situation.

BTW, you had many breeders here give you advice and you ignored it.

Thanks
    ^ exactly.......
    Problem is, is it may look "cured" now....... If thats even the case....But it will come back full force worse the next time with 10x the complications. Even us breeder use antibiotics and vets.

Registered User slithering house's Avatar
    Thanks
    well here is my experience with ri i had a female loaner come in with it and i told the owner and the owner couldnt afford a vet visite so i researched a little bit and found vetricine i use it on my other animals but you can use it on any animal so i sprayed this stuff in the mouth and around it i took pic of before and after to see if it was doing any good and within 3 days a horrible ri was cured i took the snake to the vet and she did a culture and came back saying the snake had a ri but is healing and asked did i take it to a vet asap i told her no i used vetricine and she said being the circumstances it probably saved the snakes life of couse the vet put her on antibiotics just incase but incase i see it again im keeping the vetricine around

Thanks

Re: Need tips for dealing with ri(respiratory infection)!!!

I honestly don't think any breeders on here "helped" me. They just consistently said go to the vet. FYI he went to the vet after I treated his snake personally and said after culturing the snake has an extremely small case of recovering RI. So thank you for honestly, nothing but unhelpful criticism.
    Keith Gronsbell
    Armored Exotics
    Nassau County, NY

Thanks
    Well obviously you are an expert keeper and all of the other people here are below your mighty skills. It is now obvious that you only came here to show your vast knowledge and humble us poor idiots.

Thanks

Re: Need tips for dealing with ri(respiratory infection)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Well obviously you are an expert keeper and all of the other people here are below your mighty skills. It is now obvious that you only came here to show your vast knowledge and humble us poor idiots.
    Don, just shut up. Not to be rude, but no one here gave me any real advice for a home remedy. A vet trip is obvious, and already planned. Asking for other advice and being ticked off that only criticism was given just pisses me off. And people like you who think they are funny commenting on my post with little jokes like this are just ridiculous. Please help or just let it be.
    Keith Gronsbell
    Armored Exotics
    Nassau County, NY

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast