Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

0 members and 3,236 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Need tips for dealing with ri(respiratory infection)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kgronsbell View Post
    Well even though he is foaming at the mouth, I know that there are definitely ways of solving it, like something about steam or misting the ball python? I remember Brian over at BHB used his F10 solution and a reptifogger to heal the BP with RI he had, and it had similar symptoms to the one that my friend has right now. I guess we will just have to keep trying other methods from the internet until the vet. If anyone has any real suggestions besides "Go to the vet" it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Have your friend go to the vet, there is no home remedy that will cure an advance stage of RI.

The answer is a VET and that would be without any delay given the animal condition.

A culture will be done and proper anti-biotic will be prescribed and this cannot be done without a VET

Not the answer you are looking for but it is the correct answer.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Vet and culture is the best option. The culture will define the best treatment (drug) rather than shooting in the dark with it. Sometimes the culture comes back and it isn't what you expect it to be too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Fine,

There are loads of old wives tales you will find on the net that claim to help or even cure an RI.

They don't work. None of them. This is because there are various causes to what we give the blanket name of URI to. Some viral, some fungal and some bacterial. All of which now have drug resistant strains and different transmission vectors.

At best some of the home remidies supress the symptoms leaving the infection in place. People then occasionally think it is cured, put it back with their collection and end up treating multiple snakes. This is very expensive and can be devastating if it is one of the more drug resistant causes for the problem at work.

So we always offer the best solution that will get the animal healthy as quickly as possible with minimal risk of harm to either the rest of the collection or the person involved. To offer any other advice on someone elses animal would be idiotic and morally reprehensible.

Tell your friend to stop poncing about and take it to the vet.

Better?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (04-18-2012),rabernet (04-19-2012),Shadera (04-19-2012),youbeyouibei (04-19-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kgronsbell View Post
    Well even though he is foaming at the mouth, I know that there are definitely ways of solving it, like something about steam or misting the ball python? I remember Brian over at BHB used his F10 solution and a reptifogger to heal the BP with RI he had, and it had similar symptoms to the one that my friend has right now. I guess we will just have to keep trying other methods from the internet until the vet. If anyone has any real suggestions besides "Go to the vet" it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    There are several ways of solving it without going to a vet - that's the problem with this darn forum, all these hens are so dang judgmental. Some approaches you may recommend to your, "friend":

(1) Take off all of your clothes,with the exception of a zebra print thong, oil your body up with Crisco and dance around the snake while humming the chorus to "It's Raining Men".

(2) Drink a six pack of diet coke in less than 45 minutes. Urinate into a copper bucket. Run this through a humidifier in the room that the snake resides in. The dissolved metals in your urine mixed with the chemicals in the diet coke will react with the copper creating the seebeck effect. When nebulized, it will act as a potent lung tonic.

(3) It is possible that the snake does not have an RI, but is possessed by a malevolent spirit. In that case, you need to urge your friend to get that snake to a qualified herp exorcist immediately. If not, that poor animal's soul will be damned to eternal torment. Is you friend too cheap to save this animal from HELL?

You could have saved yourself a lot of drama and just found all these cures on Anapsid - the most informative reptile site on the intrawebs.

Toodles,

Skip
    Last edited by Skiploder; 04-18-2012 at 10:34 PM.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (05-15-2012),Ashleigh91 (04-19-2012),Coleslaw007 (12-11-2012),dr del (04-19-2012),Emilio (04-19-2012),JulieInNJ (05-02-2012),rabernet (04-19-2012),Royal Morphz (04-19-2012),Stewart_Reptiles (04-19-2012),youbeyouibei (04-19-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    (2) Drink a six pack of diet coke in less than 45 minutes. Urinate into a copper bucket. Run this through a humidifier in the room that the snake resides in. The dissolved metals in your urine mixed with the chemicals in the diet coke will react with the copper creating the seebeck effect. When nebulized, it will act as a potent lung tonic.

Skip
    Skip,
    I hear this can also be used to power the heating units too!? Ever heard of that??

Thanks
    Hahahahahahah now thats some funny stuff right there. I saw a refrence to bhb using a misting solution. Im sure it was to help aid in dealing with the ri not the only means. Im sure if he had a ri there was medication involved as well. Because there are stages to a ri tgis is the reason for medical attention. A ball pythons lung isa delicate organ. When it gets to the point of foaming and mucous the ri is pretty advanced. Bow although i have argued in the past about using baytril without a culture, i have done so in the beginning stages and have had good success. But once its advanced the animal needs vet intervention. A culture should be done asap.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Baytril is one of the reason to do a culture. It has been the go to drug for what ten years? The lad my vet uses, I have done contract work, ( ) for and I was told that there are many cases in reptiles where bacteria have become resistant to Baytril.

Thanks
    Here is the video that was referred to using F-10. RI identification begins at 2:50 and the Fogger instructions start at 3:50.

Note that this works when the RI is caught early and certainly not at the stage described in the first post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCnPfuqaBM

Thanks
    Baytril has been the go to drug for longer then 10 years because it is affective. But yes there are strains resistant to it just like with anything but it still is the leading drug used for ri in reptiles because it works well. I always keep it on hand so i have it when needed. Havent had a snake die in 15 years from a ri. But im not saying do as i do. What i do works for me is all my point is.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Skip,
    I hear this can also be used to power the heating units too!? Ever heard of that??
    No, but it works wonders on my erectile dysfunction.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast