Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

0 members and 3,179 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Healthy weight for my ball?

My boy Snuggles is... roughly two years old, as far as I can tell. (I think he was ~6mo old when I bought him, 1.5 years ago).

He is a bit longer than a 20 gallon long tank, so make that 33-36" or so, and weighs 715g.

Can't seem to find good info on the right size for his age. He's sort of a picky eater, mouse-only, so I'm worried maybe he is lighter than he should be.

Would be great if anyone with a similar age male could post their weights.

Oh - one more question - I don't know any other balls so I'm not so sure on their behaviour.
    Often after constricting a rodent (live or fresh killed, doesn't make a difference) he seems to... lose it, and looks around for 2-5 minutes before he eats it. Even when it is laying on him... seems really confused. Is that fairly common? or is Snuggles just... extra special?

Thanks
    He might be a little
    Special but as long as he eats I think your good. One of my
    Female girls will not eat in public, if I have the tub out, she will sit there ( after constricting and killing it) and just look at you, she will even go as far as dragging her meal all the way to the back to get away and eat it. Hope this helps!

-Mark

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wunbjv

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Your BP sounds light for an adult male, but that's probably due to him being a mouser. Have you tried feeding multiple mice at a time?
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Sometimes he will eat 2 or 3 adult mice, I usually offer him whatever he will take. A lot of the time he will only eat one though, and skips a week once in a while. He has been a lot better about eating regularly as he is getting older, though.

He also seems to go off eating for 2-3 weeks either side of a shed, so every time he sheds he doesn't eat for 4 weeks or more.

Thanks

Re: Healthy weight for my ball?

Quote Originally Posted by pythown View Post
    Sometimes he will eat 2 or 3 adult mice, I usually offer him whatever he will take. A lot of the time he will only eat one though, and skips a week once in a while. He has been a lot better about eating regularly as he is getting older, though.

He also seems to go off eating for 2-3 weeks either side of a shed, so every time he sheds he doesn't eat for 4 weeks or more.
    Welcome to the world of owning ball pythons! They can be a real PITA sometimes!

Pics would help greatly. It sounds like he is a little light, but without pics that is just speculation.

Thanks
    Alright, finally got my other phone working and took pics with it, because I can't find the charger for my real camera... lmao.

What do you think?

Thanks
    I have a male who is about 1 1/2 and he is over 1000 g and 32". He eats rats though....and he never misses a meal....I hope it stays that way but who knows lol

Thanks

it all depends on your snake some will grow faster than other ones and some will skip meals it also depends on the genetics for example if the parents werent very long then the babys will probably not be very long

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pythown View Post

715g is fine for an 18mos male BP. It sounds like he's eating on a regular basis (for BPs, at least), and you're offering him as much as he wants. Getting him on rats might speed up his growth, but there isn't anything unhealthy about his weight.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Ive tried rats a few times in the past, doesn't seem interested for the most part.

I think he ate one small live rat once, but that is it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast