Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

1 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New pickup near dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
    I agree its not a good idea - but given the circumstances, it may be the only way. Do you have any pictures of her?
    Yea I have pictures I just don't know how to attach them. I don't have a URL for my pics and I don't see an upload attachment option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolballsdave View Post
    Yea I have pictures I just don't know how to attach them. I don't have a URL for my pics and I don't see an upload attachment option.
    www.photobucket.com
    or
    www.tinypic.com

upload the pictures there, then, when you reply to the topic, above the text box there is a list of icons, the one that looks like a pictureframe with a small tree in it will say "insert photo" when you hover your cursor over it, click that - it will open a dialog box, copy the image link into there and voila.
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Xotik For This Useful Post:

coolballsdave (04-12-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for teaching me how to upload.

Here is a picture of her I took yesterday. She looks much worse than this picture shows. she is sooooo skinny and empty.

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Wow, she is so thin. Hopefully she can keep some food down. If she makes it, it will be a likely be a long recovery. Good luck with her.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

coolballsdave (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Yes, upon getting her Thursday I nebulized for an hour and fed her 3 30 - 45 gram rats. Bad Idea, I know! She regurged all three 2 days later. She was fed another 30 gram rat the same day she regurged. Then I fed her another on Tuesday. She has not regurged any yet. I know red flags are popping up in everyones minds but seriously I think her only chance for survival given the conditions is to get the food in her.
    Pushing food into her when she is regurgitating it will most definitely kill her. Do NOT feed her again for two weeks, even if she holds this one down. If she doesn't hold it down, wait at least two weeks before offering again and START SMALL (3-40g rats is no different than 1-120g rat on that stressed of a system). Worry about getting her hydrated. Give her a humid hide, and the pedialyte baths are a good idea, too, if you can do it without her stressing more. Don't bother with trying to remove her stuck shed right now, it will only stress her. And her cool side/ambient needs to be around 82, not 87 as mentioned before, with a hot spot of 90-92. She needs a proper temperature gradient, just like a healthy BP does.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (05-20-2012),Annageckos (05-15-2012),coolballsdave (04-12-2012),decensored (05-04-2012),Don (11-28-2012),Evenstar (04-12-2012),meowmeowkazoo (08-16-2012),southwind (11-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Pushing food into her when she is regurgitating it will most definitely kill her. Do NOT feed her again for two weeks, even if she holds this one down. If she doesn't hold it down, wait at least two weeks before offering again and START SMALL (3-40g rats is no different than 1-120g rat on that stressed of a system). Worry about getting her hydrated. Give her a humid hide, and the pedialyte baths are a good idea, too, if you can do it without her stressing more. Don't bother with trying to remove her stuck shed right now, it will only stress her. And her cool side/ambient needs to be around 82, not 87 as mentioned before, with a hot spot of 90-92. She needs a proper temperature gradient, just like a healthy BP does.
    All her conditions are ideal as specified. I haven't touched her other than to clean her cage when she regurgitated. I have done everything I can to leave her alone to recover. She has no problem eating. She wants to live. If she still hasn't regurgitated in a few days I will soak her in pedialyte. I will also check with vets in the area for reptile experience.

If there is no further suggestions, I will keep on going and keep you all updated.

Thanks
    Bp's are pretty amazing creatures and given the right care this rescue could surprise you. I'm with the others here saying to start small with any food items. A regurge is a clear sign her system isn't quite ready for 3 rats just yet but its very promising that she held the last one down. Once she gets a good week of proper temps and holding the meal down I would try feeding her again. Keep the humidity nice and high for her and try to let her adjust to her new surroundings. Good luck with finding a vet in your area that knows how to treat herps. I hope to see pictures in a few months with her fat and healthy.
    Add me on
    facebook & youtube: Anw Reptiles

∞.∞ Ball pythons
    0.1 Brazilian rainbow boa
    0.1 Hog Island boa
    0.1 Cay Caulker boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya %66 het granite
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Uromastyx

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HerpIsAhobby For This Useful Post:

coolballsdave (04-12-2012),shelliebear (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

All her conditions are ideal as specified. I haven't touched her other than to clean her cage when she regurgitated. I have done everything I can to leave her alone to recover. She has no problem eating. She wants to live. If she still hasn't regurgitated in a few days I will soak her in pedialyte. I will also check with vets in the area for reptile experience.

If there is no further suggestions, I will keep on going and keep you all updated.
    Sounds good. I know the hardest part about taking in an animal in that condition is giving them the time to recover when you just want to fix everything right away that has made them suffer. Please still wait the two weeks before feeding her again, so her internal flora can balance. If she keeps the most recent meal down, it will go a long way in nourishing her in the interim.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (04-12-2012),arialmt (10-11-2012),coolballsdave (04-12-2012),jbean7916 (04-12-2012),meowmeowkazoo (08-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in Iowa, so trust me, I know it's not easy to find someone that knows anything about snakes. Even the ones that do usually have little experience. I'm not exactly sure what the vet would do for the snake that you couldn't other than do a fecal float. If you can get the snake to eat, take it slow at first. You don't want to overload his system with nutrients, they can go into shock from that. He may end up dying even if you do get him to eat.

Thanks
    If it were mine I would stick with one "small" rat smaller than her girth every 7 days if she will eat it and try to get her hydrated. I think she only regurged because you tried too many at once on the first feeding. Once she puts some weight on and is well hydrated I would move up to a little larger than her girth every 7 days if she will take it.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast