Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

1 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    thanks
    I'll be working on the room this weekend.

Thanks

Re: Dehtdrated Water Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by simpleyork View Post
    thanks
    I'll be working on the room this weekend.
    A couple of things...

Please elaborate on the word "room"?? are you implying you want to give this animal a room in your house??

Secondly, You do realize that virtually all monitor species are burrowing animals and need deep dirt to dig tunnels in.

taking it out then plopping it in a tub is stressing this lizard out more than it already is.

See if you can get a veterinarian to sell you some Normosol R electrolyte and a needle. Then what you want to do is take a small (thawed out F/T) mouse and inject it with the electrolyte solution until it swells up like a ball, then offer it either in a dish or from a set of tongs.

Basking temperatures, 130+ degrees, ambient temps @ 85 or so.

As the name "Water Monitor" implies, you should have a large water source, such as a cat litter box filled with water inside the enclosure that your lizard can get into at it's own leisure.

This has to go.. It simply will not do, and the animal's condition will continue to deteriorate rapidly until you get rid of the fish tank.

Thank you.
    Last edited by infernalis; 04-11-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks
    Where the table in this picture is will be his new home after i get it built in this week end, though i might just turn the whole room into his cage, What do you think, would it be too big then for his size? I'll be adding a lot of dirt in there since it is in the basement on cement a plastic liner is going to be installed as well.
    Any other ideas would be great

I'll be getting plenty of logs and bark hides for him to feel more secure. I also have a 30 gallon tub for water for him.
    This will be Fridays all day project

Here he is in his water bowl

added a few hides

Thanks
    Any good ideas on how to heat a room 5' 8" x 8' x 7' ? or at least half that? should i just use a 250 watt bulb or similar? would a smaller one work. I could also run the electric dryer's vent through the room before in goes outside. Let me know what you all think!

Thanks
    Read this...

http://www.proexotics.com/care_water.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks
    A few things to consider, measure the floor temperature (please) and you will find basement slabs unacceptably cold for a monitor.

This can be remedied with radiant floor heat, Not sure if you are up to it or not, but it requires that you lay down pex tubing and pump hot water through it to keep your dirt warm.

Otherwise that floor will suck away the heat and give you very cold dirt.

Now there is another option, electric floor heat....

All options are expensive, but anyone who tells you that keeping monitors properly is cheap, was lying.

As for using heat lights, it is always recommended to use a few low wattage (45-50 watt) bulbs, a 250 watt bulb will dry out your enclosure and blister your lizard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to infernalis For This Useful Post:

mues155 (05-31-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    You should also realize how destructive monitors are. They will take down drywall like tissue paper. If you have bare concrete block, maybe.

The moisture will also be destructive. Instead of a 250 watt light, you'll probably want banks of lightbulbs.

The ProExotics webpage has a ton of great info.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    thanks on the info on bulbs. As for the floor If i raised it some with foam and wood would that be better or should I just build a large wooden encloser upstairs instead? I just want to do this right since the first try wasn't too good.
    what would you recommend for the 24" monitor?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simpleyork View Post
    thanks on the info on bulbs. As for the floor If i raised it some with foam and wood would that be better or should I just build a large wooden encloser upstairs instead? I just want to do this right since the first try wasn't too good.
    what would you recommend for the 24" monitor?
    You do realize it will not stay 24" for very long right?

Water monitors get big, really really big.

The room idea is great, but you have to do quite a bit of sealing and insulating.

I took my Pro Exotics PE-2 temp gun downstairs and checked, the floor is 51.8 degrees, much too cold for a varanid of any species.
    Last edited by infernalis; 04-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks

yes i understand that he will not stay small if i can get his health up.
    I'll be sticking with the basement then, it it right next to the wash room and where i keep my roach colonies. I'll raise the floor up some and board the walls, i'll get pictures up as the progress goes this weekend.

I also need to start looking at a place to keep my Ornate Monitor, he's been growing very quickly since i got him he'll be getting to the two feet mark very soon.

thanks for your help, much better then the people who sold me the monitor, after letting them know the monitor was not in the condition they said it was and asking what could be done they quickly told me that i wasn't keeping it right (the whole two days i had it) and didn't offer any help in getting it setup better. live and learn won't buy from them again.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast