Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

2 members and 3,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Dehtdrated Water Monitor

Just received a 24" water monitor from an online shop(if name is needed i will Pm it) Anyway it is quite lively but seems dehydrated to me, the pelvic bone is showing some. Just wondering what I can do to make him acclimate better and to get his health up. he's in a large glass enclosure for now with a wooden lid as well as has the light hanging low near a perch to get him a place to bask that is up at around 110 degrees, the humidity is at 80%. I've offered it dubia roaches and egg. It has taken a few roaches but not many.
    Also this is a short term set up as i have a room I'm going to convert to two enclosures one for this Monitor and one for my Ornate monitor

[IMG]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/simpleyork
    /P1000016.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks
    here's my ornate monitor for comparison(had him for 6 months now) he's grows about an inch every 10 days

Thanks

Re: Dehtdrated Water Monitor

soak him daily and make sure he has a large water bowl and get some food in him cause if you see bones you know he is skinny

Thanks

Re: Dehtdrated Water Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Morphs View Post
    soak him daily and make sure he has a large water bowl and get some food in him cause if you see bones you know he is skinny
    he soaks most of the day and doesn't want to eat any- what do i do? I've covered his cage so he can't see any one for more privacy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Have you had a fecal done to see if he has parasites? How long has it been since you received him? Shipped in, right?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Up the basking to 130° and the humidity is maybe a touch high. Not bad tho, maybe 5-10%. Try feeding it mice or rats. At 24" it should be on pup rats or adult mice (just be careful of the mice, adults are nasty). If you just got him he is gonna need a little time to acclimate. Make sure he has a nice hide and don't drop his temps overnight. Good luck with him and shoot some more pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks
    i have tried a rat pup but it hasn't taken it. I received the monitor last friday shipped in from Florida, they say it was a farmed animal, so parasites are inevitable. hasn't pooped any sept in his water dish so a fecal would be hard at this time. I'll get more pics in the this weekend since i work during the week.

I'll update with any news

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleyork View Post
    i have tried a rat pup but it hasn't taken it. I received the monitor last friday shipped in from Florida, they say it was a farmed animal, so parasites are inevitable. hasn't pooped any sept in his water dish so a fecal would be hard at this time. I'll get more pics in the this weekend since i work during the week.

I'll update with any news
    Mine will only go in their water. Its just how they role. Try mice, mine tend to prefer mice, something about the smell. Maybe try a live mouse Hopper or even just a fuzzy to start so it doesn't seem like too much of a meal to the monitor. After he starts eating more regular you can bump up size and go to rats. Make sure you bump the basking spot up, that should help a little. Almost all waters come from farms, they aren't the easiest animal to breed so it is usually easier to buy them from a farm. Contact the people you got him from, they should have treated him for parasites if importing them. Waters are notorious for getting RI especially being shipped. Make sure his temp is up and watch for any bubbles or mucas in the nostrils or mouth. Some waters take a while to get used to their new environments. Try not to handle him unless absolutely necessary. Give him a Luke warm (room temp or slightly above) soak once a week. Bath tub is the best place to do this, and make sure he has logs or something in there to get on if he wants out. Also, don't fill the water for his soak to more than his shoulder height. If I think of anything else I will add to this. If you think of anything post it up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Zombie; 04-10-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks
    thanks for the help, i'll try what you said.

Thanks
    Up the temps, leave the humidity alone. Increase the enclosure size ASAP; your new acquisition (which I highly doubt was "farmed"), has probably gone at least a month in cramped quarters surrounded by hundreds of other salvators waiting exportation. These exporters care nothing about the lizards.

Don't handle. Don't take out for a soak. Provide a proper water container.

If it does eat and you freak it out, it will regurge. Provide a proper environment and leave it be.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast