Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

1 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Baby Won't Eat

Thanks

Baby Won't Eat

I got my male pastel in October of last year (he was born in august)...he ate fine for the first few months, but then in the middle of winter stopped almost completely for no apparent reason. He has eaten ~4 times since January. I feel like I've tried everything - smaller meals, warmer meals, feeding at different times of day, blacking out the sides of his cage so it feels smaller, slightly higher temps, slightly lower temps - and I'm totally lost. I haven't tried to feed live yet, but he just refused....yet again...so I'm thinking maybe I should. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure my husbandry is good. His warm side temps hover around 90 average, he has a day/night cycle with an infared light at night, 3 hides and plenty of fake plants and water. Humidity is good and he's always shed without any trouble. I'm using aspen substrate and handle him only once or twice per week. I've gathered here that it's not uncommon for bps to inexplicably stop eating, but he's so young that I really feel like he should be eating more regularly.

Thanks
    Sometimes I've seen younger ones just "get bored" with frozen thawed. Even my rainbow boa did it. I would try a love meal and Only attempt to feed him once a week. Any more than that and it could stress him out more which will compound your problem. Hope the little
    Guy stArts to eat.
    Morph Militia
    -Founding Father

Thanks

Baby Won't Eat

Would suggest you feed him a live mouse or even a hopper to start. But most definitely live. If you prefer rats, live rat crawler. He will go, hang in there. You're doing all the right things. Good luck.
    David

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Baby Won't Eat

Hi,

What weight is he and ho has his weight been holding up during the fast?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.