Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,028

2 members and 1,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Striking at me! :(

Vega, my pinstripe, is less than a year old and when I first got her she was cute and a little nervous, but would just ball up and sit there. Eventually she'd relax and explore. Lately, she's seemed kind of pissy. Tonight I took her out of the tank and after holding her for a few, I moved slightly and she struck at me. She missed, I don't think she was striking to actually bite but more to be intimidating, but I heard her flippin' mouth snap! So, I put her back in her tank and waited for her to relax. I pet her a bit and she didn't seem to mind, so a few minutes later I took her back out again. We sat with her half curled in my hand no problem, but then she turned and struck out at my other hand once more. I put her back and closed her up, and she slowly went back into her hide.

What the heck? She ate Friday, so I know she's not hungry. Everything in her tank is normal. I've read that the young ones can get nippy but this is kind of uncharacteristic I think.

Thanks
    I know this seems like a dumb question but is she in shed? Sometimes it's hard to see. And just like people, sometimes they just don't want to be touched or messed with. I'd give her a few days without any touching or movements. Hope she calms down for you.
    Morph Militia
    -Founding Father

Thanks
    She might just be having an off night. Just like people, they can have bad days. Don't take it too personally. I know I wouldn't if my little one suddenly started to snap at me. Check your husbandry and if it's all okay, just let her relax a little.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Inarikins For This Useful Post:

robinbanks (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Ditto to what fox and Inarikins said. Let her chill for 2-3 days and see if she mellows out. As long as she is fed, temps are right, and is given fresh water she should chill out. And if she is in shed that might cause it. Snakes cant see well when they are in shed and that kinda scares them sometimes when they cant differentiate thier surroundings. Hope this helps

Thanks
    I'm really new at this so I don't know for sure but the only time Baloo has ever shown irritation with me is when she was getting ready to shed. If your little friend is healthy then I think shedding is the most logical explanation.
    "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw