Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

2 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question URGENT! Need reptile experts please.

Hi member of this website. Although I've recently just joined this group, I need all of your help now. I have a female baby aquatic turtle which is less than 1 years old. It has an eye infection and is not eating at all. I've tried giving it zoo medics turtle eye drops but it doesn't seem to work. I'm scared that it will die, because as I've mentioned before it is not eating. Can anyone with a big heart (and actually knows what to do) give me suggestions on what I have to do? And please don't just say go to the vet.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: URGENT! Need reptile experts please.

Hi,

Species? Your location, your set up? we're going to need a lot more info to even be able to start helping.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    ^^What he said. Lol. But while everyone may be able to offer advice, a vet is always a good choice if you fear for your animal's life. At the very least a vet can give you a special dietary supplement that you essentially force feed the animal to make sure it is getting nourishment. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but when my skink had an RI and stopped eating, my vet gave me the diet for her and it worked wonders. Granted, prying their mouth open with an old credit card to shove the little dropper in there is not fun, but she healed much more quickly with that supplement helping to keep her energy up.

- Nakita

Thanks
    If your using a compact fluorescent (screw in coil type), stop asap, like right now. These emit a dangerous short wave uvb radiation that can blind chelonia.
    If your using one of these bulbs chances are your turtle has photokeratoconjunctivitis.

A good article about reptile lighting.
    http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptil...ial-light.aspx
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Species? Your location, your set up? we're going to need a lot more info to even be able to start helping.

dr del
    Umm I'm not really sure what species it is because its one of those turtles I bought off the streets. I feed it floating turtle gammarus pellets and it is in one of those normal small plastic tank. (Btw the turtle looks like the turtle in front of the "floating turtle gammarus pellets) is that enough info? Ill try my best to give you more if it is insufficient.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maixx View Post
    If your using a compact fluorescent (screw in coil type), stop asap, like right now. These emit a dangerous short wave uvb radiation that can blind chelonia.
    If your using one of these bulbs chances are your turtle has photokeratoconjunctivitis.

A good article about reptile lighting.
    http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptil...ial-light.aspx
    I'm not using any flourescent light on it, it is just in a regular plastic tank that you buy off the streets. Thanks for your suggestion though. I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess90 View Post
    ^^What he said. Lol. But while everyone may be able to offer advice, a vet is always a good choice if you fear for your animal's life. At the very least a vet can give you a special dietary supplement that you essentially force feed the animal to make sure it is getting nourishment. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but when my skink had an RI and stopped eating, my vet gave me the diet for her and it worked wonders. Granted, prying their mouth open with an old credit card to shove the little dropper in there is not fun, but she healed much more quickly with that supplement helping to keep her energy up.
    Thank you for your advice. Will the turtle be hurt if I pry her mouth open? (Need to know just in case)

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iloveturtles View Post
    Thank you for your advice. Will the turtle be hurt if I pry her mouth open? (Need to know just in case)
    As long as you're careful and just kind of coax her mouth open with it, she should be fine. I just gently poked my skink in the mouth till she got frustrated and "threatened" to bite. Then her mouth was open and I just slid it in. Of course, if you get the supplement from a vet he will show you how to do coax her mouth open with the card. Not sure if you can get that supplement anywhere beside a vet. Someone else might know though.

I hope your little girl gets better soon!
    Last edited by WarriorPrincess90; 04-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.

- Nakita

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iloveturtles View Post
    I'm not using any flourescent light on it, it is just in a regular plastic tank that you buy off the streets. Thanks for your suggestion though. I really appreciate it.
    They need uv fluorescent lighting with uvb basking area.
    And you need to find the exact species of turtle you have, it sounds like a red eared slider (water turtle), but the care requirements can vary greatly especially between water and land turtles. Diet will also be dependant on what species of turtle you have.

Water turtle setup example (right setup for a RES)
    http://www.allturtles.com/turtle-set...-turtle-setup/

Land turtle setup example (wrong setup for a RES)
    http://www.allturtles.com/turtle-set...-turtle-setup/

Red eared slider care sheet:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1797&aid=2613
    An adult RES will need at least a 120 gallon aquarium
    Last edited by Maixx; 04-09-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

Thanks
    Pic of a RES ( red water slider )
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)