Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

2 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User SeeTheCityLights's Avatar
    Thanks

Tree Monitor husbandry questions

My boyfriend and I are planning on getting a pair (or just one at first, and add another later on once we are more experienced). We want to buy CBB babies or juveniles preferably, but would consider CB/CH. We definitely will not get any WC's. We are unsure of what specie to get yet. Love macraei and reisingeri, but would love to have prasinus. I think beccarii are gorgeous and mysterious looking, but my boyfriend thinks they look too "plain" so we probably won't get any of those.
    We are not buying any right now, it will be months and months away.

We went to Home Depot yesterday to look at all the materials/prices for everything we need to build an enclosure. It is going to be 7' tall x 5' wide x 3' deep.

I have been religiously researching all of the care sheets, articles, videos, etc. that I can find on these guys. They all have varied information, though. So I have some questions to verify what is correct for them. I will note all the info I have found, and you guys can tell me if it is correct, and if not, please correct it. I really appreciate it. I want and need my husbandry to be spot on perfect.

1. TEMPERATURES / LIGHTING:
    a. Lights on a 12 hour cycle. At night, use a ceramic heat emitter.
    b. UVA/UVB 5.0 bulb. Keep within 12 inches of basking area. Replace every 6 months or 1 year (I get varied info on that)
    c. 2 Basking bulbs: Basking area temps between 100*-125* F (varied info). Have 2 basking bulbs- one over a higher branch for warmer temps, another over a slightly lower branch for lower temps, so they can thermoregulate and pick what temperature they want.
    d. Ambient temp of 85* F. Cool side- Low 80's. Hot side- 85-90* F.
    e. Temp should never drop below 70* F in any part of the cage.

2. HUMIDITY / MISTING:
    a. Humidity: 70-100% at all times
    b. Mist for 1 minute every hour with an automatic mister. (I've found that most people recommend MistKing automatic misters. Do you guys agree, or is there a better one?)
    c. Spray down the cage every morning to act as a rain shower so they can drink the droplets off of the plants (Is this still necessary with the auto mister?)
    d. Some people have the mist nozzle at the top of the cage, and some people have it at the bottom. Which is better?

3. DIET:
    a. Varied diet. Acceptable prey items: crickets, roaches, mealworms, super worms, baby hairless mice/rats, eggs (cooked, raw, both?), and ground up turkey.
    b. Do I feed as much as they will eat every day because of their high metabolism, or do I give them a specific amount every day?
    c. The info I found on dusting insects is very varied- Should I dust with calcium every day, every other day, once a week? What about with calcium/multivitamins with D3? I've mostly found that people dust with multivitamins+D3 either once a week or once a month, when they have UVA/UVB light available- Which is correct?
    d. Gutload all insects with fruits and veggies before feeding to monitors.
    e. Always have a fresh bowl of water available, big enough for them to soak in, even if they never use it.

4. ENCLOSURE:
    a. Lots of trees and branches for them to climb and bask on.
    b. Lots of foliage to hide in.
    c. Cork tubes to hide in. Put in multiple areas, in different levels/heights throughout the cage.
    d. Nest box. I've read that there should be 1, and I've read there there should be more than 1. Which is it? and should it be completely filled with sphagnum moss, or half way filled, or what? Do I need to put a heat mat inside of it? If so, should I place it on the bottom or on the side? What temperature should I set it for on the thermostat?
    e. Substrate: Cypress mulch, sphagnum moss, and coconut husk/fiber because they all hold humidity well.
    f. I've read that the substrate should be a few inches deep. I've also read that it should be at least a foot deep. We are going to try some live plants in there, so I think our substrate will be around 1' +/- deep. Is that all right?
    g. The walls should be lined with either cork sheets or cork bark or coconut fiber. Which is best?
    e. Vents- 1 in the bottom front, and one in the top back, right?

5. LIVE PLANTS:
    a. I've read that any plant that is safe for reptiles is safe for these guys. Correct?
    b. What are some of the hardy plants that will survive these guys? I like the wide leafed plants and the hanging vine-like plants in this video. Can anyone tell me what they are? (Obviously I need to learn some plants before I dive into this task ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lgcsN4NmY
    c. Drainage layer - I've read that people use pea gravel, aquarium gravel, or volcanic rock. Which works best, and is the cheapest? Is volcanic rock safe for them?
    d. Read that a thin layer of aquarium charcoal over the drainage layer helps minimize odors from decaying plant matter. Where can I find this stuff? I searched, and all that came up was aquarium carbon. Is that the same thing?
    e. Potting soil. What is the best one, that is also safe for them? Perlite and vermiculite have been mentioned. What about plain old potting soil, as long as I can find it without extra stuff like pesticides and fertilizers?
    f. I can place the normal reptile substrate, like cypress mulch/sphagnum moss/coconut husk over the potting soil once the plants have been planted, correct?

Anything else I missed? I have it all written down, but my notes are all over the place so I may have accidently skipped something when typing this out.
    ANY other info is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks in advance guys!

- Emily

1.0 Boyfriend (DeepUnderground)
    0.1 '12 Lesser
    0.1 '12 Pinstripe
    0.1 '12 Mojave
    0.1 '12 Colombian BCI

Thanks
    Basking spot of 130 degrees would be perfect, and as for UVB I never had to use on my monitors. The ambient temp can be a little lower, and if the temp drops below 70 for a few hours at night it wont have any ill effect as long as it doesn't dip below 60. Supplement there meals 1 to 2 times weekly with calcium plus vitamins, and all my tree monitors got pinkies, roaches, and crickets. No need to feed them any turkey or eggs at any time. Most of mine fed everyday, but once they get full grown a every other day schedule would be fine if they are of good weight. Now for the base layer I use a mixture of sand, bed-a-beast, topsoil, and sphagnum moss. The depth of substrate needs to be over a few inches, and have a moist consistency(if you grab a handful it should clump but not drip water). I never used any rocks at all, but if someone else has with no problems then I see not worry with that. Hope this helps, and please feel free to PM me for more info.
    Mini monitors, other select herps, and aquatics.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ga_herps For This Useful Post:

SeeTheCityLights (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thank you very much! I will definitely PM you when I have more questions.
    Can you recommend any breeders of them?

- Emily

0.1 '12 Lesser
    0.1 '12 Pinstripe
    0.1 '12 Mojave
    0.1 '12 Colombian BCI

Thanks
    Pro exotics is working with the green trees with some success, but will look around and see if I can't find any others.
    Mini monitors, other select herps, and aquatics.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ga_herps For This Useful Post:

SeeTheCityLights (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Yeah I talked to them already, just wasn't sure if there was anyone else or not. Thanks!

- Emily

0.1 '12 Lesser
    0.1 '12 Pinstripe
    0.1 '12 Mojave
    0.1 '12 Colombian BCI