Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,085

3 members and 2,082 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

A New Breeders Budget?

I am really interested in breeding my Ball Pythons. I have a few questions before I do so.

First, I plan to get the Reptibator egg incubator on Amazon.com for $110. Thoughts on this incubator? I can only afford something in that price range.

Second, I was planning to get the Hatchrite substrate on Amazon.com for $9. Is this a preferred substrate? Should i try the egg crate way?

Third, I am snake hunting for a male. I was thinking about a Pinstripe or Spider. I have a normal and a pastel female. Which one?

thank you in advance for your consideration and helpfulness.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I would use vermiculite since ive heard hatchrite can dry out easily. Personally i like pins better than spiders but go with whatever you like.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

masonhall (03-31-2012)

Thanks

Re: A New Breeders Budget?

Thanks and just vermiculite no perilite in the mixture? thank you for the input

Thanks
    I used the reptibator along with just vermiculite no perlite . And hatched out my first clutch no problems.

Just cover the 4 little holes on the reptibator and keep a digital thermometer in the container with the eggs and you'll be golden.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    0.1 Normal (Sookie)
    1.0 Pastel (Syler)
    0.1 BumbleBee (Scully)
    1.0 Butter (Gimme)
    0.1 Mojave (Saffy)
    1.0 Albino (Leopold)
    1.0 Pinstripe (Triston)
    1.0 Basset/Beagle Mix (Bilbo)
    0.1 Basset Hound (Mimi)
    a bunch of red eared sliders
    and the oldest, male pit/mix Corky. 18yrs strong.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sookieball For This Useful Post:

masonhall (03-31-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sookieball View Post
    I used the reptibator along with just vermiculite no perlite . And hatched out my first clutch no problems.

Just cover the 4 little holes on the reptibator and keep a digital thermometer in the container with the eggs and you'll be golden.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    What kind of water mixture do you use with the Vermiculite? is it 2:1 or 1:1?

Thanks

I use the hatchrite/perlite for all my eggs, in the store and at home, with no problems. I actually like it better, as I check the eggs every week anyway and add water at that point. The vermiculite, in my experience, absorbs a TON (often too much) of water, and for the beginner it can be difficult to gauge how much water to add.

I have used vermiculite as well with success, I just like the hatchrite better these days.

LOVE the Reptibator, all the best parts of the less expensive hovabator, but more space inside and it already comes with a thermostat. Super easy to set up and use, great incubator.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LLLReptile For This Useful Post:

masonhall (03-31-2012)

Thanks
    Can't offer much advice on the Reptibator or vermiculite since I've never done any breeding of my own, but in terms of which male to purchase, it should be whichever you want. If you think that a pastel pin looks cooler than a bumblebee, then get the pin. If you think bees are cooler, get the spider. Check as many breeders' available snakes as you can, and you're likely going to find a pin or spider that really stands out to you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SpencerShanks For This Useful Post:

masonhall (03-31-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1, I don't trust anything zoomed when it comes to heating. I had a thermostat from them that melted and I almost lost my first few snakes. For that price you can make your own with a nice thermostat, make sure you get a proportional stat, you don't want an on/off stat for an incubator. There are plenty of homemade bator threads in the DIY section to look at.

2 I use hatchrite in my substrateless tubs right now since I still have some left over. I would go substrateless if I were you, it's one less thing for you to screw up.

3 As far as which male to go with, you need to think about what you want to make in the long run. That's something you should always consider when buying or breeding.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

Slim (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    The reptibator worked fairly well for me, except it was too small for anything over a single clutch. Like someone else mentioned close the little holes in it and make sure you get a good thermometer/hygrometer like accurite because the placment of the reptibators temp/hyg probe is up high and close to the heat source, makes it so you will have to set the thermostat higher to good heat on the eggs. I believe mine was like a 5-6 degree difference so it had to be set at 94-95 to put eggs at 89. Good luck to you!
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie For This Useful Post:

masonhall (04-02-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would not go with pinstripe OR spider. I would go with a pinstripe AND spider in one and get a Spinner.

You could get spinner blasts, spinners, bees, blasts, spiders, pastels, pinstripes & normals.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayCee For This Useful Post:

Balls Out Morphs (05-04-2012),mbaker8686 (04-03-2012),Simple Man (05-05-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast