Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

2 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

switching from live to f/t

i have a central american red tail boa (bci) and i feed her a live adult mouse every week and i want to switch her over to f/t but dont know how. anyone got any advice on switching her over

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I use a slow transition process. If the snake is already feeding constantly on live then you can try feeding a fresh killed rodent. After 2-3 consecutive feedings on fresh killed then you can give F/T a try. Make sure the F/T rodent is heated to 100 degrees as this is the body temperature of a rat.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 03-29-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: switching from live to f/t

Have you attempted to feed f/t yet? I haven't owned many boas at all, but the ones I have owned didn't really need any "conversion"...they just ate anything.

Thanks

yea i tryed f/t a few times when i first got her but she would not touch it and the breeder i got her from feed her live since she was born

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Make sure theyre heated to 100 degrees. Take a knife and poke a small hole in the skull of the rat. (theyre not that thick, itll be easy). Get some of the brain juices/blood to flow out. Then dangle the rat slowing in front of your snake and then do the zombie dance and see if if she pounds it.
    I tried a few different methods to convert my ball and finally the braining method worked. idk why but the smell of that made her crazy. She pounded that rat like it had insulted her mother.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

I've never had to heat up feeders for my boas and they all eat f/t or f/k. I just thaw at room temp and dangle them in their face with some tongs and they all eat like there's no tomorrow. Just give her some time and be paitient it will happen, don't give her anymore live and only offer a f/t or f/k until she eats. Even skipping a few feedings won't hurt her at all, a boas metabolism is a lot slower tha a bp's. Boas don't eat on a schedule or as often in the wild as they do in captivity and fair just fine without food for even months at a time with no I'll effects as long as they always have fresh water. Good luck and with time, patience and persistence she will be off of live food!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    idk why but the smell of that made her crazy. She pounded that rat like it had insulted her mother.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boadaddy View Post
    I've never had to heat up feeders for my boas and they all eat f/t or f/k. I just thaw at room temp and dangle them in their face with some tongs and they all eat like there's no tomorrow. Just give her some time and be paitient it will happen, don't give her anymore live and only offer a f/t or f/k until she eats. Even skipping a few feedings won't hurt her at all, a boas metabolism is a lot slower tha a bp's. Boas don't eat on a schedule or as often in the wild as they do in captivity and fair just fine without food for even months at a time with no I'll effects as long as they always have fresh water. Good luck and with time, patience and persistence she will be off of live food!
    I agree. Boas tend to be garbage disposals. She may be hesitant to take it right now because she doesn't recognize it as food. But they know the smell and she'll figure it out eventually. How long are you leaving the rodent in with her? Just a little while or overnight? If you're only leaving it with her for a short time, try just leaving it with her overnight. Chances are she'll eat it. And I agree with boadaddy - don't offer anything but f/t until she eats. She'll be fine, but if she still doesn't eat after one or two more tries, you could try braining it like Mike suggested. That should do it for sure.
    Last edited by Evenstar; 03-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    Have you attempted to feed f/t yet? I haven't owned many boas at all, but the ones I have owned didn't really need any "conversion"...they just ate anything.
    Could not have said it better myself......

Jason

Thanks
    My guy took them the very first attempt. I wiggled it a bit then practically touched him on the nose with it. Snag!!! We always heat them up. Maybe that's what helps with the zombie rat/mouse dance? When our bp is being stubborn I just set the rat down, turn off his over head heat source, then cover the tank completely with a blanket. Usually he's eating in just a few minutes. I do agree totally with the don't turn back to live unless you absolutely have to.
    Ange'... A wife and a mom to seven trouble makers

2.1 munchkins , 0.1 cat "Shadow" MIA , 0.1 sun conure "Sunshine", 1.0 normal '10 BP "Julius", and 1.0 BCCxBCI '11 RTB "Ranjan"

~ No one is fancy but we love them none the less ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast