Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,244

2 members and 1,242 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Thanks

Going to have a late season!!!

It was a shot in the dark and it is very late but I brought my big female normal to my friend yesterday. He plans to pair her with his mojave, spider, and pastel and we are splitting the babies in a fair way (you pick one, i pick one.) Since yesterday he has confirmed three locks with the mojave. I have so many questions but the most important, how long does it usually take from the first confirmed lock to when they finally lay eggs? It seems like it will probably take about four months, since he started pairing his albino in November and she's only just laid her eggs. As of yesterday she is up to 1700g empty and had gained a whole 100 grams in just 10 days. Also as of yesterday she is up to 1950g full. By the time she's gravid she will most likely be 2000g+ and I am hoping for a big clutch. I'm so excited and can't wait for my first clutch! One thing I would like to do is to build my own incubator so I can have her and the eggs at my own house and go through the whole process. So if anyone wants to tell me how to build a successful incubator for cheap I would appreciate it

0.1 Normal (Captain Hook) (Hooked deformation on tip of tail)
    1.0 Pastel Poss het Albino (Thor)
    0.1 Normal (Chloe)
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python (Jade)
    0.1 Borneo Black Blood Python (Kira)
    Coming soon:
    1.0 Mojave het Albino
    0.1 Mojave het Albino

Thanks

Re: Going to have a late season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evan385 View Post
    I have so many questions but the most important, how long does it usually take from the first confirmed lock to when they finally lay eggs?

It seems like it will probably take about four months, since he started pairing his albino in November and she's only just laid her eggs.

One thing I would like to do is to build my own incubator so I can have her and the eggs at my own house and go through the whole process.
    First, congratulations.

Now, breeding a female and seeing locks does not guarantee eggs. Does she even have follicles yet?

Four months is exceptionally short. Ive had everything from 4.5 months to 12, and thats just the girls that go that year. You really cant start counting on anything until ovulation. An ovy is the only time you can count on getting something (whether it be eggs or slugs).

If I were you I would leave her at your friends house. You want a gravid females life to be as low stress as possible. Moving her back to your house would seem tempting, but you might end up with more slugs from stress or her not going at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aalomon For This Useful Post:

evan385 (03-29-2012)

Thanks
    I've been pairing since late October and still no eggs or ovulation (unless I missed it).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adamsky27 For This Useful Post:

evan385 (03-29-2012)

Thanks

Re: Going to have a late season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aalomon View Post
    First, congratulations.

Now, breeding a female and seeing locks does not guarantee eggs. Does she even have follicles yet?

Four months is exceptionally short. Ive had everything from 4.5 months to 12, and thats just the girls that go that year. You really cant start counting on anything until ovulation. An ovy is the only time you can count on getting something (whether it be eggs or slugs).

If I were you I would leave her at your friends house. You want a gravid females life to be as low stress as possible. Moving her back to your house would seem tempting, but you might end up with more slugs from stress or her not going at all.
    I don't actually know, i'm new to breeding and I guess I should have done more research but I hadn't actually planned to start breeding until November.

I really hope that I don't have to wait a whole year to see some eggs, but thank you for opening my eyes. Nothing is set in stone or guaranteed at all. She could have a whole clutch of slugs, you just never know.

Okay thank you! I'll just have to spend more time over there and learn everything that I can from them. I think this is their second season but it may be their third. His albino just laid eight healthy eggs and she was paired with a mojave, pastel, and spider so I can't wait to see what comes out

0.1 Normal (Captain Hook) (Hooked deformation on tip of tail)
    1.0 Pastel Poss het Albino (Thor)
    0.1 Normal (Chloe)
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python (Jade)
    0.1 Borneo Black Blood Python (Kira)
    Coming soon:
    1.0 Mojave het Albino
    0.1 Mojave het Albino

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evan385 View Post
    I have so many questions but the most important, how long does it usually take from the first confirmed lock to when they finally lay eggs? It seems like it will probably take about four months, since he started pairing his albino in November and she's only just laid her eggs. As of yesterday she is up to 1700g empty and had gained a whole 100 grams in just 10 days. Also as of yesterday she is up to 1950g full. By the time she's gravid she will most likely be 2000g+ and I am hoping for a big clutch. I'm so excited and can't wait for my first clutch! One thing I would like to do is to build my own incubator so I can have her and the eggs at my own house and go through the whole process. So if anyone wants to tell me how to build a successful incubator for cheap I would appreciate it
    I don't want to be a downer, but I guess you're skipping quarantine??

And eggs can take a few months. I have a proven girl who has been breeding since November and she's not showing any signs of ovulation. I'm guessing she might not go this season. So your girl may or may not have eggs. But I guess the average is ~ 3- 4months. But it could be longer.

For a cheap incubator, look at the DIY section. There are a lot of good cheap ones in there.

As a future tip, I suggest bringing the males to your house. I've seen breeder females stress to the point of going off feed and not breeding after a move. And moving eggs from your friends house to yours sounds tricky.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

evan385 (03-29-2012)

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    Also if your only going to have one clutch you can get away with purchasing a hova bator for 40-50 and would prob be cheaper then making one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameron Lamb Exotics For This Useful Post:

evan385 (03-29-2012)