Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

0 members and 3,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks

Re: Crap!! Even shipping IN state will end up crossing state lines!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle7676 View Post
    I imagine FedEx is on top of this and is probably already working on some type of solution, whether it be not accepting snakes or rerouting packages.
    You'd really have to be delusional to think that Fedex would consider re-routing packages just so they can legally transport snakes. I'd dare to say that if there was a ban on shipping of all exotics, it would be little more than a minor inconvenience to them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

Slim (03-28-2012)

Thanks

As a falconer, I have to have a lot of permits. Since becoming a falconer, I've fought along side long time falconers to keep our sport alive. So needless to say, I've experienced lots of encounters with Fish & Game officials who either hated the sport and/or who are ignorant about falconry. Each state has a different set of falconry laws. So if I wanted to drive to Mississippi from Texas with my bird, there's a chance that I would need an out of state permit for each state my car crosses. I could drive straight through Louisiana and my bird never leave the car, but if I were to get pulled over and not have that permit, I could be in a world of trouble. Or if I was hunting my bird near the Louisiana border and he were to pursue game across state lines and I didn't have a out of state permit, I could lose my license if caught. And yes, this has been an issue.

So would I be surprised if I was charged with a felony if my reptile package crossed state lines, even through I was shipping in state? No, I wouldn't. You can claim you had no clue FedEx would route your package that way and they'll come back and say that it is your responsibility to know where it's going, just like it's your responsibility to know your local laws.

Think I'm making this up? Talk to the people who truly are ignorant and hate what we do. They have an agenda and they won't stop till they get what they want.

I suppose I sound a bit jaded. But that's what comes with being told I'm an animal abuser, I'm destroying the environment, and putting my son in danger. And that's for being both a falconer and reptile keeper.
    *Micah*
    My blog

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spygirl For This Useful Post:

C&H Exotic Morphs (03-28-2012),Foschi Exotic Serpents (03-29-2012),Genetics Breeder (03-29-2012),Jabberwocky Dragons (03-28-2012),Robyn@SYR (03-28-2012),Slim (03-28-2012),snakesRkewl (03-29-2012)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spygirl View Post
    As a falconer, I have to have a lot of permits. Since becoming a falconer, I've fought along side long time falconers to keep our sport alive. So needless to say, I've experienced lots of encounters with Fish & Game officials who either hated the sport and/or who are ignorant about falconry. Each state has a different set of falconry laws. So if I wanted to drive to Mississippi from Texas with my bird, there's a chance that I would need an out of state permit for each state my car crosses. I could drive straight through Louisiana and my bird never leave the car, but if I were to get pulled over and not have that permit, I could be in a world of trouble. Or if I was hunting my bird near the Louisiana border and he were to pursue game across state lines and I didn't have a out of state permit, I could lose my license if caught. And yes, this has been an issue.

So would I be surprised if I was charged with a felony if my reptile package crossed state lines, even through I was shipping in state? No, I wouldn't. You can claim you had no clue FedEx would route your package that way and they'll come back and say that it is your responsibility to know where it's going, just like it's your responsibility to know your local laws.

Think I'm making this up? Talk to the people who truly are ignorant and hate what we do. They have an agenda and they won't stop till they get what they want.

I suppose I sound a bit jaded. But that's what comes with being told I'm an animal abuser, I'm destroying the environment, and putting my son in danger. And that's for being both a falconer and reptile keeper.
    You've made some very good points and I agree with everything you have said. I simply want to point out the one major difference between falconry and keeping boas and pythons in America.. As a falconer, having a wild caught bird, you can choose to release it at any time. I know a long time falconer who is doing just this with her red tail after quite a few years of hunting with it.

Snake keepers however, can not release their snakes. Unless its a wild caught native specimen. Even then it's frowned apon unless it's a conservation/re establishment program.

I don't understand at all why do many people are against falconry. I've been around falconers for years and I think it's a wonderful hobby/sport. It is very strictly regulated also. More so than the keeping of most reptiles, so why do people care?

Anyway. Waaaay off topic! Lol

----> Signature <----
    *Factoid: "There are no such things as Hogg Island or Columbian boas"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    You've made some very good points and I agree with everything you have said. I simply want to point out the one major difference between falconry and keeping boas and pythons in America.. As a falconer, having a wild caught bird, you can choose to release it at any time. I know a long time falconer who is doing just this with her red tail after quite a few years of hunting with it.

Snake keepers however, can not release their snakes. Unless its a wild caught native specimen. Even then it's frowned apon unless it's a conservation/re establishment program.

I don't understand at all why do many people are against falconry. I've been around falconers for years and I think it's a wonderful hobby/sport. It is very strictly regulated also. More so than the keeping of most reptiles, so why do people care?

Anyway. Waaaay off topic! Lol

----> Signature <----
    *Factoid: "There are no such things as Hogg Island or Columbian boas"
    Not always the case, it can vary by state. Here in Wa it is illegal to release any animal into the wild, including native species, unless it is done by a licensed wild life rescue/rehab.
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post

Snake keepers however, can not release their snakes. Unless its a wild caught native specimen. Even then it's frowned apon unless it's a conservation/re establishment
    Not so if it's an imprint, captive bred bird, non-native bird, or hybrid. When HR 669 came about, a lot of falconers fought just as hard because these birds are considered "pets" by US Fish & Game. So any laws that may be passed that can affect reptiles are a worry to falconers. It just opens doors to ruin things for everyone! But yes, restricted interstate travel laws are already out there for some "exotics" (to bring this back on topic).
    *Micah*
    My blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to spygirl For This Useful Post:

Maixx (03-30-2012)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567