Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

2 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Hey guys, long time. Have a couple concerns.....

Hi everyone, haven't been on here for quite a while as my collection has not been growing much and I've just been keeping up with what I have and life has gotten a little more busy.

A little background. I have a 5.5 yr old Brongersmai Python that I bought in 2009. As per the previous owner he ate a jumbo rat every 2 weeks and had no health problems. Seemed like a stand up guy and we kept in touch for quite a while.

However, that has not been my experience with him. He is 15 lbs and has never lost weight since I've acquired him, but he almost never eats. In the time I've had him he averages a jumbo rat every 4 months. This time around he hasn't ate since 8/19/11. Another concern is he's never had a full shed, but I have a lot of trouble with humidity in NJ.

It's just so bizzare. He seems healthy, never lost weight, had him checked out a few months ago for what I thought was a little scale rot (it wasn't) and Vet said he looks good. He's lazy in his cage, but active when I take him out. What in the world is going on?

Husbandry info:

Animal Plastic T10 enclosure
    Hot side: 85-90
    Cool Side: 75-85 (his favorite)
    Large water bowl
    Some cypress mulch for humidity.

ANY INSIGHT? Do adult Bloods lose appetite?

Thanks

Re: Hey guys, long time. Have a couple concerns.....

Another bit of info is that he usually will not eat in winter months. Don't know if that normal Blood behavior. All my snakes have different appetites and personalities.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I'm no blood expert by any means, but I have some balls that haven't eaten since October/November of '11 and they're just starting to eat consistently again. I don't think it's uncommon at all for a snake to go off feed for the winter months (I have a King that went off feed as well as some of my balls) so as long as he's not loosing a bunch of weight and has a healthy body tone I wouldn't worry.

Was the other person feeding him live and you're feeding F/T (or vice versa)? If so, maybe that's why he doesn't eat as frequently for you as the previous owner said he was.

As for his sheds, does he not have complete sheds or he never sheds? I read a bit about people having a hard time getting their bloods to get a full shed, maybe you really need to raise humidity up to better help him out (damp some paper towels and leave them in there or give him a humid hide).
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

SnowBP (03-24-2012)

Thanks
    With bloods you will often see food refusals at higher temps. I would definitely aim for 85 as your hot spot at most. Even better try for 82.
    - Lon D.

Thanks
    And BTW, your boy is prime age and in love during the winter. He will naturally think of other things besides food
    - Lon D.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bwt501 For This Useful Post:

SnowBP (03-24-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    I'm no blood expert by any means, but I have some balls that haven't eaten since October/November of '11 and they're just starting to eat consistently again. I don't think it's uncommon at all for a snake to go off feed for the winter months (I have a King that went off feed as well as some of my balls) so as long as he's not loosing a bunch of weight and has a healthy body tone I wouldn't worry.

Was the other person feeding him live and you're feeding F/T (or vice versa)? If so, maybe that's why he doesn't eat as frequently for you as the previous owner said he was.

As for his sheds, does he not have complete sheds or he never sheds? I read a bit about people having a hard time getting their bloods to get a full shed, maybe you really need to raise humidity up to better help him out (damp some paper towels and leave them in there or give him a humid hide).
    Thanks for your reply. The previous owner said he fed a mixture of live and f/t (whatever he had available). I feed f/t.

He sheds every 5 months or so, but his sheds are never complete. I always have to put him in a tub with warm water and help him out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bwt501 View Post
    And BTW, your boy is prime age and in love during the winter. He will naturally think of other things besides food
    Lol funny. Can't blame a guy....

Thanks for the tip. I know Bloods enjoy a bit cooler temps. I'll try that out.

I just really want him eating again. I have a close connection with him and want to see him doing well.

Thanks
    Its ok to completely saturate his enclosure for a day or two before his shed. I keep mine on kraft paper and will dump their water bowl right before. These guys wont get any skin issues like BPs from a brief period of saturation.
    - Lon D.

Thanks
    Id also recommend puttin paper on top of the cypress. The blood will stay under the paper and that microclimate is around 90% humidity. It will help with security and shedding
    - Lon D.