Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

1 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New owner/ Feeding, Temp , Humidity issues

Hi,

Great forum you have here. Very informative. Me and my girl just got a BP rescue about 5 weeks ago. First time snake owners. The rescue group told us he hadn't eaten in about 6 days. We had to wait for another week till the frozen rats arrived , and fed him about a week after getting him. He immediately wrapped the rat up, and fed beautifully. We offered him food a week later, and another succes . Now, here is where things change.. We upgraded his cage from a 30 inch long to a 48 inch ..the night we did this, it was feeding time again, and he did indeed eat . But the last two times we have offered, he hasnt eaten he now has spent the last 3 days under his hide , on the hot side. He used to come out at night and explore , but stopped doing that.

I have a UTH on the hot side , with a Vivarium VE-100 set to 90. The temp inside his hide is about 87-88. The cool side is at 82. These temps I have now are better than what I was getting with the smaller cage .. It took me a few weeks to get it down. I have the hide box with moss inside and the humidity is between 45-55.

So is he just getting used to his new cage? Could this be the non eating issue? I have read on here that a hiding ball python is a happy ball python, so I am just wondering...we are planning on offering him food again tomorrow..it will have been 8 days between the last attempt.

Thank you for any info you can provide!

Mark and christine

Thanks

Re: New owner/ Feeding, Temp , Humidity issues

Oh and he is 43 inches long..and he fed 3 times succesfully before he went on his eating strike...and I am using a temp gun and digital hydrometer

Thanks
    I'm pretty new to bps myself maybe bump the hot side up a degree? Is that the humidity of the viv or just the moist hide? What are your ambient air temps? You don't want anything in there lower than 75 degrees.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The first comment is snakes are all individuals some do well in large enclosures some not so well. It could be stress of moving or just getting used to things or just not interested. It also could be the new enclosure is too big for this snake. Hard to say for sure. I'd try adding some cover plants or something over head and try to bump the hot side temp a touch to 90 under the hide. And leave him be for 2 weeks then try again. Just spot clean and fresh water and that is it give him a chance to adjust.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

tlich (03-24-2012)

Thanks
    Yea, he could be happy in his new home or check on him and see of he's getting ready to shed.
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlich View Post
    I'm pretty new to bps myself maybe bump the hot side up a degree? Is that the humidity of the viv or just the moist hide? What are your ambient air temps? You don't want anything in there lower than 75 degrees.

The humidity is in the hide itself...I have about 3/4 of the top covered with tin foil and mist twice a day...the ambient temps are hovering around 78-80

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrkrec View Post
    The humidity is in the hide itself...I have about 3/4 of the top covered with tin foil and mist twice a day...the ambient temps are hovering around 78-80
    Ambient temps are good, do you use another heat source to keep ambient temps up? That could mess with your humidity. I would increase the hot side to 90, but as for not eating my guess would be the move, like said above try adding some fake leaves or anything to take up some room if there's too much open, my Bp didn't eat until the 3rd week when I first got him or her, no need to worry really

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlich View Post
    Ambient temps are good, do you use another heat source to keep ambient temps up? That could mess with your humidity. I would increase the hot side to 90, but as for not eating my guess would be the move, like said above try adding some fake leaves or anything to take up some room if there's too much open, my Bp didn't eat until the 3rd week when I first got him or her, no need to worry really
    Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Nothing to worry about at least not yet. I agree that you could bump the hot side temperature up a little. I keep my BP's in 48" x 24" x 12" (L x W x H) sized cages, so it can be done. Your BP might just need some time to settle in, or it could be totally unrelated and the timing was just bad.

Sounds like you are using a glass tank, is their the case?

If so you could try "blacking out" 3 sides (left, right, back) this will make your BP feel more secure in his cage, and might help with feeding. This can be accomplished by taping construction paper to the outside of the cage. You could also use insulation board. this helps maintain temperatures as well as providing more security.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 03-24-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Nothing to worry about at least not yet. I agree that you could bump the hot side temperature up a little. I keep my BP's in 48" x 24" x 12" (L x W x H) sized cages, so it can be done. Your BP might just need some time to settle in, or it could be totally unrelated and the timing was just bad.

Sounds like you are using a glass tank, is their the case?

If so you could try "blacking out" 3 sides (left, right, back) this will make your BP feel more secure in his cage, and might help with feeding. This can be accomplished by taping construction paper to the outside of the cage. You could also use insulation board. this helps maintain temperatures as well as providing more security.
    Yeah it's a glass tank . I was just researching blacking out the cages. Great idea.

One more question... I got the thermostat set to 90..when I get a reading about 2 inches above the substrate( im using astro turf) in front of his hide, it's reading over 100.. Like 102! But inside the hide it's at about 88 or so.. He isn't getting burned is he by lying on it?.. It's only in this one spot right in front .. I have the overhead lamp on as well..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast