Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,479

1 members and 2,478 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Kevin's 10 gallon D. Tinctorius 'Matecho' build

So since I can't own any snakes right now I decided to start breeding other things in the hopes of getting my name out there. I just bought a young proven pair of dendrobates tinctorius 'matecho', but won't be receiving them until I finish their tank. Lemme say though dart frogs are an expensive hobby....I've sepnt over $450 last two days...including frogs though.

So without further addue some pics of the build. Mind you I'm still not done.

All the goods I need....not in the picture is the peat moss and ecoearth brick I'm using for the background. The tank also had already been siliconed on the sides and back to let the great stuff foam adhere better.

False bottom with my drain/ventilation tube on the right back wall.

And that's it for now. I will be finishing the great stuff foaming for the background today and post pics later.

Hope you all stay tuned.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    And here is a sneek peak of the frogs waiting for their new home.

Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks

Re: Kevin's 10 gallon D. Tinctorius 'Matecho' build

Nice frogs can't wait to see more

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks I'm pretty excited about them. My fly and springtail cultures will be here tomorrow so I can start culturing more, my plants will be here Monday, and the last thing I'm waiting on is the vivarium lid I got from jungle box which still has to be made....hoping middle or late next week ill have it, then the frogs can come!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Country Born Exotics

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Nice, congrats! my friend used to keep dart frogs. They hide alot so its hard to see them but the upkeep of the plants in the vivarium is just as rewarding as keeping the frogs. Plus feeding time is fun to watch lol

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    D. Tinctorius are a larger much bolder species of dart. They hardly ever hide. The thumbnail dart are MUCH smaller hence the name and are more skittish.

And thanks! I have a feeling I'm going to get addicted to plants as much as the frogs haha.

Last edited by kevinb; 03-23-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Country Born Exotics

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You can look into the kitty litter background as well. I will never again do a great stuff background. Lots cheaper.

At first I was wondering why you wanted to squeeze a waterfall in that 10 gallon but then I remembered that I learned how to read in elementary school. You can always do away with that if you want the extra room. I siphon mine with a little airline tubing and it is not a monthly affair.

They don't really need ventilation unless you are soaking the substrate, then it's a husbandry issue. I leave a little gap in the tank lid.

I promise that you are going to want to get them into a larger tank in 6 months. I would have each of my tinc pairs in a 55 gallon if I had the space.

Love the Matechos.

Please get comfortable with making fruit fly cultures before your frogs come. There is nothing worse than not having anything to feed them after a culture crash.
    Last edited by aldebono; 03-23-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Angela

Thanks
    Awesome! I am doing the same thing. etting ready to start in on the Dartfrogs myself in the next few months. Good luck
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aldebono View Post
    You can look into the kitty litter background as well. I will never again do a great stuff background. Lots cheaper.

At first I was wondering why you wanted to squeeze a waterfall in that 10 gallon but then I remembered that I learned how to read in elementary school. You can always do away with that if you want the extra room. I siphon mine with a little airline tubing and it is not a monthly affair.

They don't really need ventilation unless you are soaking the substrate, then it's a husbandry issue. I leave a little gap in the tank lid.

I promise that you are going to want to get them into a larger tank in 6 months. I would have each of my tinc pairs in a 55 gallon if I had the space.

Love the Matechos.

Please get comfortable with making fruit fly cultures before your frogs come. There is nothing worse than not having anything to feed them after a culture crash.
    I have a total of 6 cultures coming, 3 hydei and 3 malanos, put of that 1 of each is blooming and the other two will be soon. They come tomorrow in which ill be making more cultures to get it right. Doesn't seem to difficult, but mistakes can be made. I will be upgrading to a 20l by the summer. I made the 10 as a starter so I can A.) Make sure they are healthy and eating and B.) Space constrictions at the moment. I will dp my best to make them happy as can be in the 10 for now. As to the kitty litter background, I never really understood how that was Done.

Also I have 2 springtail cultures coming as well a tropical to add to the substrate and a temperate to feed and cuture outside the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    Awesome! I am doing the same thing. etting ready to start in on the Dartfrogs myself in the next few months. Good luck
    Thanks! I can't wait to get the tank finally done and the frogs in.

Country Born Exotics

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Re: Kevin's 10 gallon D. Tinctorius 'Matecho' build

Quote Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
    D. Tinctorius are a larger much bolder species of dart. They hardly ever hide. The thumbnail dart are MUCH smaller hence the name and are more skittish.

And thanks! I have a feeling I'm going to get addicted to plants as much as the frogs haha.

well that shows you how much i know about them lol. thats cool that theyre not as secretive. and yes the plants are just as cool as the frogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast